HybridZ

4 spd trans strength and rearend gear ?

Guest BradHall

Guest BradHall

Hello, I've been reading and seaching for weeks and cannot find quite what I need to know. I have a 1974 (late build) 260z and I have been looking for a 280zxt turbo motor to do the swap with little luck. I recently found a 1983 280zxt automatic though and very rough that I want to purchase for the motor and rearend. My question is how much stouter is the 5spd than the 4 spd I have now because I have to pay a decent price for this car and was wondering if it was better to wait to find one with a 5spd. Also what gear would probably be in the automatic rearend?

Guest BradHall

Thanks for the info, basically I'm just freaking about paying more money than I want to for this car and I'm trying to find a way to make it seem worthwhile. Since I've been looking for a turbo car I've came up short, minus a few disco era hippies wanting a small fortune for theirs in their backyard. So all I would be getting would be the 200 rear and motor which I take it I would change it over to a megasquirt 1 system anyway.

Guest BradHall

Well I guess my question is irrelavant now. After driving 8 hours today to get the car that was at a yard, that was suppose to start and idle be a manual (they told me it was a auto right before I left) so I was aware of this and got there only to find out the motor was locked up tight and the freeze plugs pushed out from someone leaving it with crappy antifreeze of water in it. I swear I have crap for luck. Anyone have a turbo car within 6 hours of Arkansas they would like to sell? I am almost thinking of buying it piece by piece off of ebay and keeping by block and crank L26 and building a turbo this way.