HybridZ

high compression l28

280zx_sliding

so guys if you have noticed i was having a problem with the car stumbling all of the time. well i think i have fixed the problem. i was rebuilding the front cover stuff including the timing chain tensioner. well the last time i took my head off i put the piston even with the block... well this time around while i was playing around rotating the block i noticed my pistons go about 1/4 of an inch above the block. as far as i have seen thats not normal... so what im in the process of doing now is trying to figure out what the previous owner did. do you guys think it is after market pistons or rods? there is no markings on the pistons except the little box that faces the front of the block on each pistons. the little notches. as far as i know none of the other z's had higher compression pistons then the 280zx did. any ideas on what was changed. i would have put pics up but the head is back on the car already. the next time i take it off i will show u guys pics.

• Administrators

What block and cylinder head are you running?

If the pistons are flat tops, the OE flat top pistons pop up out of the bore approx .020”-.025” inch, which is perfectly normal. If they did pop up .250” they WOULD contact the cylinder head as your gasket is not ¼” thick.

Here is a picture of the OE flat top pistons protruding above the deck surface, .023”

DSC_4360.1Large.jpg