HybridZ

Paint Color

David87LS

I have an 82 ZX with a silver gray color. I have chipping to the panel to the the panel just above the front bumper. I went to this site to find a rattle can,

http://www.paintscratch.com/

but I cant tell if my color is there or not. It would help if I new the name of the color.

Does anyone know where I can find the color of my car so I can match up a touch up color for this area of chip. Or do you know of a different site I can find a rattle can for this job?

Yeah, just like Wldson said, you aren't going to be able to pull a match on your paint from a can. My Z used to be the same silver as yours, then I think it was sprayed blue, and finally someone threw a horrible coat of red over the blue and some bondo.

Everything is faded horribly.

If you have the time and budget for it, sand and primer everything yourself and then have maaco spray it with their top of the line that frequently goes on sale from $400 down to $200. It will look so much better in the long run.

Paint fades over time with exposure to sun, and silver paint also has a specific problem - as the clear coat over the metallic particles in it wears, the particles come in contact with air and oxidize. This creates the nasty dull look of many silver cars. Red paint is notorious for having some of the most severe fading problems.

Touch-ups in a specific area are only going to be as effective as the difference between the paint you apply and the weathering of the paint on the car. This is part of the art of painting.

About all you can do is check the paint code on your car, get a matching color, clean the target area and try applying some of the touch-up paint with a very small artist's brush. Once you see how that looks, you can decide whether the "cure" is worse than the problem.