HybridZ

TRANSMISSION SWAP

Guest zfan

I HAVE A BORG-WARNER T10 4 SPEED CURRENTLY IN MY Z. TO SAY THE LEAST IT IS NOT FREEWAY FREINDLY! CRUISING AT 60 MPH AT ROUGHLY 3000

RPM IS NO FUN. IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING A 700R IN HER. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS AND WHAT PITFALLS COULD I ENCOUNTER ALONG THE WAY? WOULD I BE BETTER OFF SWAPPING TO A T5? HAS ANYONE SWAPPED FROM 4 TO 5 SPEED AND IF SO WHAT ALTERATIONS WOULD I BE LOOKING AT?

THANKS FOR ANY IMPUT,WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

MIKE

The 700 is a heavy transmission, but I think you'd enjoy the low 3.06 1st and 2100 @ 60 instead of your 3000. I think quite a few are running it. Find a Vette, or Z28 if you want a 4th gear that can be run wide open, otherwise you'll have the downshift to 3rd every time you floor it. I thought mine was by far the best auto I'd ever run. (87 vette). Probably need a few different wacks from undrneath compared to the standard, cooling lines, shifter etc, and PROPER TV cable set up. It will self destruct if wrong. The T5 is good for moderate hp. Really light and great over drive.

JS

If you're going to consider the T5 consider the T56 too! Heavier but also much heavier duty. You've also got a nice 6th gear for MPG at higher speeds. You might find that with a moderate rear ratio the 6th is actually too high though so beware of that. Older T56s from 93 don't have as deep an overdrive either.

John - would the 200R4 be worth looking at for an auto? Does it have WOT in 4th? What are the differences from a strength and size point of view? Does it have the TV issues too? The GNs used these, yes? How well might they work with the V8s?