HybridZ

Got spark, got fuel but won't start

GeeZ

I took off the top and bottom cover on the steering column to get to fix the horn. But before I got to check horn, I had move the car ('78 Z) which I had started before I got to the horn. The car won't start. It has fuel and spark and spins well. I checked the distrib. and coil and they seem to be ok. I assumed that it was something I might have moved when I removed the covers but I find nothing. Also, the '78 manual does not indicate that anything in the steering column except the ignition, would prevent the car from running.

I did notice that there are 2 loose black wires with spade ends but it doesn't look like it was hooked to anything, plus they just fell out when I removed the covers.

Anyone with suggestions.

Thanks

I took off the top and bottom cover on the steering column to get to fix the horn. But before I got to check horn, I had move the car ('78 Z) which I had started before I got to the horn. The car won't start. It has fuel and spark and spins well. I checked the distrib. and coil and they seem to be ok. I assumed that it was something I might have moved when I removed the covers but I find nothing. Also, the '78 manual does not indicate that anything in the steering column except the ignition, would prevent the car from running.

I did notice that there are 2 loose black wires with spade ends but it doesn't look like it was hooked to anything, plus they just fell out when I removed the covers.

Anyone with suggestions.

Thanks

I would make sure your injectors are pulsing thats one of the most common causes of Z's not starting is fuel becuase the injectors arent opening.

Checking fuel and spark: Have a buddy spray starter fluide (not charcoal, engine starter fluid) while you crank the engine.

If it catches and dies, spark is good, and problem is fuel. If it doesn't catch, then its and/or spark, fuel.

Checking spark: disconnect a plug wire, while a buddy cranks, move the end of the wire closer to teh plug and see if a spark arcs across, might need to be in a dark place

Actually I had already tried these suggestions. Tonite, just because I am use to really loud electric pump, I gave it a couple of taps from a hammer, then tried to start the car again, no luck. I took the hose off from the filter and cranked the car a couple of times to check how much fuel I was getting AND THE DAMN THING STARTED and ran for a few seconds with fuel dribbling out of the rail. I put the hose back on and it woundn't start again. I removed the hose again and it ran again. Slow_old_car ( Jeremy) came by and put the hose back on and it started again. Neither of us understand it, but it is running. But, I really am a little nervous about taking it out from the garage.

Thought it maybe it was just flooded or the fuel pressure reg maybe faulty.

So, I will replace fuel pump with a Walbro and the fuel pressure reg, just in case.

Thanks for your help, though.