HybridZ

U joints on driveshaft

Arif

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the stock U joints between the tranny and the driveshaft? Mine is falling apart literally and was debating on wether I want to take it on or take it to the shop and get spicer u joints installed.

[This message has been edited by Arif (edited August 12, 2000).]

I don't think it's too tough. Just unbolt the shaft from the differential, 4 hard to get to bolts, and slide the shaft out from the transmission. Mark the flange before removing the shaft so it is reinstalled in the same orientation. Then remove the snap rings and support one half of the joint with a open vise and tap the other half with a hammer until you push the cap out. Repeat until all the caps are out.

Check the play in the splined joint. If it feels pretty sloppy, it should be replaced at this time. Alternatively if you don't replace it and still have a mysterious vibration suspect that spline as the culprit. Another source of vibration can be the infamous front differential mount. You can tie the front of the diff down with steel cable to keep the mount from breaking, a very good idea.

I'm assuming you don't have a V8 swap. If you do, I suggest converting to a shortened chevy shaft or custom shaft. The JTR manual spells all that out for you. The small u-joints used on the datsun shaft are fine for the original engine but inadequate for the torque of a V8.

Guest Fast Frog

Yo Rob!!

Another Colorado guy!! I see by your registration date that you haven't made many posts as a member-hope that changes! Now, let's see. That makes at least 4 of us from the Mountain State-John Scott from Greeley, a 240Z guy from Berthoud, you from Loveland and me from Grand Junction. We lived in Loveland in the mid '70s off of 35th and Logan north of the lake. Anyway, tell us what project you're working on or what kind of hybrid Z you've got!!

Catcha later

Rick, zhaba@gj.net

Hey Rick.

We are getting quite a showing here in Colorado.

There's one more- Danno from Berthoud who has a 260Z which is getting a LT1, T56 and coilovers. Danno actually works with me. There's even another guy who works for this company who is building one. He hasn't posted anything yet I don't think.

I've also got a early 74 260Z. Its up and running, has been for a couple of years now I think. ZZ4 Chevy 350 crate motor, T-56, open 3.7 diff and 280ZX half shafts, and single 3" exhaust. Tokikos, Panasports, adjustable bushings, a big front sway bar and no sway bar in back is my suspension set-up. Front brakes are upgraded to Wilwood and vented rotors from Arizona Z. Very much a sleeper, no flares or air damns.

You've got the blown 350, right? I think John showed me a picture of your engine. Very nice.

Catch you on the road some day. Well, maybe with your powerplant you will catch me. What color is it, and ever get up this way?

Later!