HybridZ

Careless had a good idea

AKWIKZ

Just to update you guys on my fuse popping issues. I had combined my switched power wires into one connection with a 10 amp fuse as most do in these swaps. Anyhow, I kept popping fuses at irregular times and without any type of consistency. At Raffs suggestion, I picked up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-ATC-FUSE-BLOCK-6-GANG-BRAND-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ42613QQihZ020QQitemZ300197321389QQtcZphoto

I ran each wire seperately on it's own 10 amp fuse and it has worked perfectly. It also cleaned up the harness quite nicely. I would suggest this to everyone as it is an inexpensive way to avoid this type of electrical problem in the future.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update on your fuse issue =)

I found that a lot of people wire devices into the same power wire as the defroster or devices that pull a lot of amps, and then add more draw to the same circuit, thus blowing fuses or wires all the time, so I've been in the same situation recently with a friend's rad-fan switch that I've fixed for him in a similar way to what you've done (ran an inline bus-fuse straight to the batt, and to the relay that powers the illuminated switch).

However, another suggestion... And I'm not sure if it changes anything, but have you determined the amperage that each device hooked up to each fuse is supposed to be drawing? Just curious, as some of the ones hooked on 10amps might need those fuses to pop sooner to avoid damage to the device or the wires that lead into the device, which will also act as their own fuses. Cross referencing to the FSM or the original fuse boxes printed rating may make this easier.

I'm glad it worked out. How is it running?

all i know is that i want a skyline like yours haha, how do i get one?!?!

on the topic though, that is a good idea and a tip i will use for my Z

Move to canada..

Good call on the amperage rating. A fuse is actually in place to protect the wire not the device. Fires are not good LOL.

You can look at what gauge wire you are using and length and detirmine a good fuse rating from some online calculators (this is if you don't know the current draw of the device).

Evan