HybridZ

300zxt Tubo 5.3 Gen III Cheap TT

zgeezer

Well, maybe a cheap way to turbocharge my toy, but I need some information and direction.

I've located no fewer than five and maybe six 300ZXTd from 1986-1989 [sorry, all the LSD's are gone] in local jys. All have their turbos intact and they can be had for "pick a part" prices. None appear to be intercooled. The only readily apparent differences between the turbos is that I think two of them are H20 cooled.

The cast iron exhaust manifolds of the 5.3 can be swapped from side to side and configured to mount two small turbos [one to a bank]. As Nissan sized these turbos to 3.0 liters, I would think that two of them would make a streetable match for my 5.3 liter motor.

I have seen the threads regarding another member doing a turbo'ed 5.3, using one larger front mounted turbo, intercooled, and with a down pipe locating the larger turbo in front of the engine. This is not what I am proposing to do.

Money [lack of it] and the availability of these turbos at a cheap price is what drives this thought.

I would hope that I could carry 5-6# of boost without an I/C with these smaller turbos.

Are all 300zxt turbos created equal? If not, how do I identify the ones to avoid?

Do any of you have quick and dirty field tests to determine if a turbo might be useable, rebuildable, a decent core, or simply trash? I know the first one might be "Does it turn easily?" What are some others.

My goal is a daily driver with good street manners.... some muscle, yes, but good street manners.

Finally, I installed a z06 cam, appropriate sized pushrods, and z06 valve springs. All but the aftermarket pushrods out of a 2004 z06 Vette. The LSA on this cam is very wide: 117 degrees. I've read that this mild cam will work with the turbos [Ligenfelter's 1,000hp TT cam is ground on an LSA of 120 degrees?]

At any rate, I do need some good field guides to choosing used Turbos.

Thanks

g

You want the pre 4/87(march of 87 build date) turbos, those are the .60/.63 T3's. The later ones are tiny T25's.

5-6# would be reasonable non intercooled and two of those turbos should be good to over 400rwhp. You could upgrade later on to a pair of hybrids too.

Check for play in the shafts of the turbos to see if they are usable, a little up and down is normal, but there should be no in and out.