HybridZ

help on how to wire a relay

zmaster

I want to bypass the original harness for my fuel pump to make it turn off and on like it normally should...it is on my 1975 280z coupe. will the relay turn the fuel pump on and off like it should. this is going to be my second to last atempt will be to buy a stand alone fuel management system.

Basically all you will need to do (on the above diagram) is connect terminal 87 to the fuel pump hot wire, and 86 will be "ignition hot"--that will cause your pump to run whenever the key is on.

That said, it will actually be overriding a safety feature--many people will install a "snap switch" in the circuit that needs to see positive oil pressure to complete the circuit--that way if engine dies, no more fuel pumping out.

IIRC, the original AFM has a small switch inside that keeps the fuel pump from running unless there is flow going through it--if you manually open the flapper, it will complete the circuit

i have done that test, and it doesn't work. I have two GOOD afms sitting in my garage including the one on the car. if a lower voltage would go to the fuel pump then i would probably be able to keep a constant flow but not too high of a pressure.