HybridZ

Questions on rewiring my 260z

Ok, so like the genius that I am I pulled the all the electrical out and didn't make any notes. I am currently installing a 22 circuit EZ2Wire harness. I have the rest of the gauges figured out, except the tach and speedo. Also these gauges could be 280z (not sure if there is any difference between 260z and 280z gauges) because one of the previous owners swapped in an L28 and 280z dash along with a major hack job on the electrical.

On the Tach there are three posts. The larger one I figure is the tach signal and the two smaller ones are gauge power and gauge ground

ElectricalDash001TachLABELED.jpg

On the speedo I am sure that the red wire is gauge power. However there is a little circuit board with three wires one green, green red, and red that does not go into gauge itself but is just screwed on. I dont know what that is.

ElectricalDash002SpeedoLABELED.jpg

I have tried to trace things out on the electrical diagrams that I have but I still cant figure out whats what.

The speedo doesn't need power to work. It's mechanical. ;)

I had one of my spare Speedos apart about a week ago and if memory serves it is attached directly to the speedo gauge face, possibly a ground, but for what purpose I don't know.

I also don't know what that little box is, I haven't looked into it just yet, as my 240 is still not here yet (should be on Tuesday or Wednesday. :D ). I'll look at the diragrams that I have and see if I can figure it out.

JOJO- I did not see that on my speedometer i have 74 260z. Maybe something aftermarket? dunno but i didn't have that on mine.

On the 260z is their high and low beams? i'f so my high beam lights don't work i pull the blinker lever back and lights go off ?

Odds are you have and electrical problem. Pulling the lever towards you should activate high beams not turn your lights off. You may want to check your fuses and mabey even some of the connections on the turn switch. Look for a white wire with a yellow stripe that will be for high beams, at least thats what is on mine.

Odds are you have and electrical problem. Pulling the lever towards you should activate high beams not turn your lights off. You may want to check your fuses and mabey even some of the connections on the turn switch. Look for a white wire with a yellow stripe that will be for high beams, at least thats what is on mine.

Thanks i'll grab the meter and check it out, as for the fuses their all good. I thought after spending $380 to the auto electric mechanic for problems (battery would die all the time) it all would go away. yea right! Dusn't stay charged and when i do charge the battery i have to start my car with a screw driver on the starter soleinoid because it wont start with the push button ign. i put on (wireing checked at least ten times). I'm thinking grounding problem? sorry to get off subject here man.