HybridZ

R200 question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok, i know we have been talking alot about the R230 and clutch R200 and viscious rear. my question. can you take the guts from a clutch lsd rear or a viscous rear or R230 rear and install them in a 280Z R200 open rear? i was asking because i have the 200 rear with 3.54 gear and would like to keep it. i was just going to buy the parts needed and install them in mine. i am really lost. please help, later, chris

Guest Anonymous

I don't believe the parts between the R230, R200 VLSD and R200 can be interchanged.

I do believe, however, that one can swap components between R200 VLSDs, ie. swaping the components from a Z32 VLSD into a 240SX VLSD housing.

If you find out any different, PLEASE let us know!!

Chris

Guest Anonymous

You can swap r200 into r200, but they're not generally cross-compatible.

Someone needs to figure out a strong and reliable setup of cv joint 1/2 shafts to bolt in with a r200 viscous diff with a z32 style case.

Cheap, plentifull, and very effective with a 4.something ratio.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

I have a similar question, about a set of R200s I have.

I have a 3.7:1 300ZX LSD R200 that needs a few clutch parts (no biggie). The issue is that the edges of the pinion gear are sharp, and I believe that this is not such a good thing as far as a determinant of the condtion of the ring/pinion.

I have a 3.545:1 non-posi R200 that I believe the ring/pinion is good in. The question arises, can I take the posi unit and swap it into the no posi case with the 3.545:1 gears. I realize that I should be very careful to get the ring in the same position as it was with the non-posi carrier, and will probably need shims I might not have to do that.

But since the pinion depth won't be changed on the 3.545:1 case, and I'm just swapping the carrier units, I should be able to get the ring and pinion to mesh with the posi carrier the way they did with the non-posi carrier, no?

This set of diffs are a backup, as I already have a good 3.7:1 LSD R200 in the car. Sure would be nice to have a spare though, and to be able to change the gear to a bit higher ratio (lower numerically) as I have a 3.27:1 first gear. As it is, I'll probably never use first in spirited driving.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

i heard the ring gear bolts are different size between lsd and open diff. igot a 370 lsd on garage floor and a3.54 out side but i havent taken any ring gear bolts out to see.but your idea about swapping open diff carrier for lsd is how i put a lsd unit in my ford van that i tow my car to track with.it took .5 hour to change it over.

Oh yeah, the ring bolts again. I forgot they were 12 vs 10 posi to non-posi.

I was concerned about not getting the gears to mate close enough to where they were with the non-posi carrier and ending up with gear howl.

Oh well, I guess if somebody does make up some 10 to 12 mm ring bolt sleeves, I'd be interested in a set.

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

You have to keep the gearsets matched, just like any other differential.

YES! And you may need to assemble a few times until you get your shims setup right so the 'new' assembled gear wear pattern looks v. good (ie. v. 'flat' parallel to the surface so no cutting is going on). I haven't set them up but friend have done diffs etc and once you do know how to do one and have the oedometer etc they're all quite similar I've been told. Pete, if you have a 10mm and 12mm handy why not crack them apart (I know you've had the LSD apart before;^) and get some sleeves done...I'll buck up for 2 sets myself. Diff shops would have lots of the shims etc to get that to spec and you can do a FAQ once done:-)

Ross (just seems like a Pete project smile.gif ) C

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, we used white grease to mark patterns on rear end ring gear it works pretty well. As its also probably been discussed, the setup of ring/pinion is fairly tricky in most rear ends. If they aren't adjusted just right, you can end up having the rear of your car sound like a wolf is howling in your back hatch area! Might want help of someone experienced with rear ends for sure. (not I, I had to do it in class, but didn't enjoy it at all, the only thing I found less fun was rebuilding automatics. To those that rebuild them, hats off.) smile.gif

Lone