HybridZ

Beefing Up Rockers??

This seems like a huge waste of time to me. Most of the real racing done with Z's these days is in ITS and EP. Old days was CP or GT2. None of these cars added a bar to the inside of the rocker. Now some people will run one of their door bars down on top of the rocker, which I almost agree with, but there's so much else to worry about. What kind of racing is this for?

This is actually for a drag car. No class. Just building a street strip car. I mainly wanted to reinforce the rockers for safety.

Justin

Won't be in any NHRA sanctioned class then?

Oh, you also say this: "Then I can mount the cage to this and still stay NHRA legal." Then it will need a cage meeting NHRA specs or not, and for what class?

Is your seat going to be at the normal height or down on the floor?

Let's figure out what the legal requirements are for where you're racing, then there may be some more important places to put that metal. Putting it in the rocker won't appreciably affect your torsional stiffness, nor is it usually a player in a T-bone or a rollover. Be glad to help but need more specifics.

That's not a lot of tube. For ITS we use 1-3/4 x .095 wall. What's the design look like? Lot of NHRA legal cages I've seen don't even have a diagonal in the main hoop, that's the first thing I'd change. Are you limited in where/how you tie the cage to the unibody? Got a link to the rules?

The rules are here:

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2007/rules/2007rules.zip

Also, heres a basic rendering I did in CAD of the cage I'll be putting in it:

As you stated, there is no diagonal bar in the main hoop. Its not required. I think you can add additional bars as long as you have the required bars.

cage3jm4.jpg

Regards,

Justin

Nice drawing. A few suggestions. For drag I don't see you needing T-bone protection like we do in road racing, therefore no elaborate door bars needed (although it looks like the rules require one on the driver side, I could be wrong). I think your main worry would be rollover (tire blows at speed for instance), and for that I'd really really want a diagonal in the main hoop. The two diagonals that go down to the tranny tunnel don't do squat, you're just adding weight with them (however, looks like the rules show them, more proof the NHRA has no structural engineers on staff). I generally don't like the X in the back, as it's weight up high that isn't necessary, UNLESS you have a tall driver and are taking advantage of the fact that the NHRA rules are stupid enough to let you get away without a diagonal in the plane of the main hoop. Which I gather is the case, so the X is the next best thing even though it's proly half as effective. An X for door bars on each side would give you some much needed torsional stiffness, as would a Top End Perf. type triangulated front strut bar. If it was a road race car I'd move the front horizontal down to about an inch off the tranny tunnel to help distribute the T-bone loads and help keep the floorboard from folding up, but since that proly isn't a big player in this app it's okay where it is (although again, it's weight up high that isn't really doing anything- the front half of the cage is just going to collapse in a rollover anyway, especially with no door bars).

You don't say how fast this thing is going to be, but my guess is for drag racing your probability of crashing is very low, and the type and speed of crash you'll have will be much less severe than what we'd expect in road racing (concrete wall at 120 mph almost perpendicular, courtesy of Road Atlanta turn 12 for instance), so I'd go with minimum weight, maximum convenience (kinda like what you got), forget the additional rocker tubes, get it on the track and street asap and have fun sooner.

I'm going to be doing x braced door bars on the driver and passenger side. I don't need the x brace in the back AFAIK.

The motor combo I'm putting together should put down 1100whp. Should be enough to go 160's in the 1/4 from calculators I've seen. I just want the whole car to be as safe as possible. I'm not super concerned with adding weight in the rockers. I was planning to mount the main roll hoop to the 2X2 rocker bars, aswell as the A pillar down tubes. I figure this will make the car more rigid and keep the cage as far out of the passenger compartment as possible.

I will be welding in two tubes that connect the rockers side to side. This will function as my seat mounts.

I really would like to do a 25.2 chassis spec, but its alot more bars then I'd like. I'm just trying to build a chassis that will be safe, with minimal impact on the drivers compartment. I will be driving this car on the street so I'm trying to tuck the cage against the roof as right as possible. Also, I'm going to mount the seats as low as I can to keep my head away from the roof bars.

I'll post pictures later of the revised cage as I intend to build it.

Regards,

Justin

I'm going to be doing x braced door bars on the driver and passenger side. I don't need the x brace in the back AFAIK.

The motor combo I'm putting together should put down 1100whp. Should be enough to go 160's in the 1/4 from calculators I've seen. I just want the whole car to be as safe as possible. I'm not super concerned with adding weight in the rockers. I was planning to mount the main roll hoop to the 2X2 rocker bars, aswell as the A pillar down tubes. I figure this will make the car more rigid and keep the cage as far out of the passenger compartment as possible.

I will be welding in two tubes that connect the rockers side to side. This will function as my seat mounts.

I really would like to do a 25.2 chassis spec, but its alot more bars then I'd like. I'm just trying to build a chassis that will be safe, with minimal impact on the drivers compartment. I will be driving this car on the street so I'm trying to tuck the cage against the roof as right as possible. Also, I'm going to mount the seats as low as I can to keep my head away from the roof bars.

I'll post pictures later of the revised cage as I intend to build it.

Regards,

Justin

Oh, only 1100hp. Me thinks we just upped the ante to a lot more cage than you have shown. :) I'll check in for the revised pic.