HybridZ

Making a plenum for my z31

SATAN

This is the plenum I am currently working on. I thought it was pretty cool until I saw the plenum thread in the other section:eek:. Either way...

It has 6 plus liters of volume for my 3 liter engine (VG30ET). Six if you count just the plenum, and plus if you count runners and pipe right after the throttle body. This is to supply plenty of air at 8k rpms. I put a simple diffuser down the middle of it going into the pipe that sits right behind the throttle body. This is to pull swirl out of the incoming air obviously. It is ground sharp like a knife edge. The back side of the plenum hangs past the last runner about 5 inches. This is because as the air smacks the back wall, there is a lot of turbulence at that point. I wanted to make sure it was out of the way of a port. It seems as though most plenum's taper outward right after the T/B. I figured that if I put the pipe to a flat section the dramatic change from it coming out of the pipe would help to slow it down faster. It utilizes the 90mm Q45 throttle body which has a venturi of 80mm. It is not done just yet, I have been fitting and testing to make sure everything was going to clear first. My last plenum I made was only slightly larger than 3 liters and it tapered down toward the last cylinder. I didn't do that on this plenum. Let me know what you think. Maybe I can change something if your suggestions are good. It is only tacked right now. Ok, enough rambling, here are some pics. Didn't have much light so the red looking ones are where I was covering the flash so it wasn't blinding.

Plenum005.jpg

Plenum006.jpg

Plenum017.jpg

Plenum012.jpg

Plenum010.jpg

That looks OK to me, have heard that the back vertical wall shouild be rounded rather than straight. Mine has velocity stacks protruding into the plenum by ~40mm but other than that its just a plain box, with the throttle body on the side though.

That looks OK to me, have heard that the back vertical wall shouild be rounded rather than straight. Mine has velocity stacks protruding into the plenum by ~40mm but other than that its just a plain box, with the throttle body on the side though.

Yeah, I wanted to do velocity stacks but the 2nd and third runners are righ next to each other and same with the 3rd and fourth. So it goes 1...2,3...4,5...6 basically. So I welded the plenum to the lower and rounded out the ports to make as much of a velocity stack as I could.

I agree on the rounded back wall also, but I figured if the wall was far enough past the last runner it would be alright. I appreciate the input.

where in colorado do you live?!

id love to see that puppy

Oh, hey, I am fairly close to you(in the suburbs anyways). You are down by park meadows right, centennial? I am in Aurora off of 6th and I-225 roughly.

It is all tore apart right now though. I have the diff out and installing a Q45 carrier, I have cams sent off to Isky to be done, and I am still in the process of welding up my plenum. If you aint got ♥♥♥♥ to do one day when I am home you are more than welcome to come check it out.