HybridZ

Webers leaking, is it the float needle?

2savage

Two of my freshly rebuilt webers leak a little. Not sure exactly where from but the fuel puddles on top of the heat shields I installed under them. Would this be the float needle not seating properly? Or maybe float height set too high to prevent the needle from seating? I have checked the tightness of the screws underneath the carbs and they are snug.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm surprised by the lack of input from this forum because you all seem very knowledgable, but I also use another forum FFCobra.com, which has provided the following information.

1) Possible causes are worn spindles, float level too high, excess fuel pressure or dirt on the float needle.

2) Since the fuel leak occurs only when the fuel pump is running (regardless of whether the engine runs or not) that eliminates worn spindles.

3) Since I am running a vane type Carter fuel pump and no regulator, fuel pressure is probably around 5-6PSI, which is about double the recommendation of 1.5 to 2.5 PSI at high RPM's and 3PSI at lower RPM's.

So, I have ordered a fuel pressure regulator and an in-line fuel pressure gauge that will get fitted over the weekend. I'll post progress next week.

:flamedevi Yes, it may be the float. But first check the fuel pressure to the carbs. It may need to be no more then 3 pounds of pressure to the carbs for street use. If that checks out, then check the float level as per the guides you can find on the internet (you will most likely have to take the top plate on the carb off of the carb to adjust it). For me and my 45 DCOEs it was the float level that was causing it to leak. Once I fixed that it was good to go.

I installed the pressure gauge first and it showed 11 pSi; way too much. Next I installed the regulator and dialed it down to 3 PSI. The leak was fixed!

After some test drives and some trial and error I settled for 4 PSI. The carbs still need some adjustment but at least there are no leaks now :)