HybridZ

1984 700r4

Guest kc6wfs

Guest Anonymous

Do you have a lockup converter? I assume that you have to power up that plug to get it to lock, there may be some automatic control in the trans, but I'm not sure.

I know that the installations I've seen have used a switch to lock it up, tied through the brake circuit, so that if you hit the brakes the torque converter would 'unlock'. B&M makes a kit for controlling the lockup converters, I just found it on the summitracing.com website (which is a PIA to navigate, BTW), but it's their part number bmm-70244.

So, the question I don't know the answer to is 'will the 700r4 lock up in fourth without anything plugged into it?'

Boy, this is why I want a manual transmission. Have you got to playing with the TV cable yet? That's lots of fun...

I'll repost if I learn anything.

Lotsa luck,

Quill

Hi Quill,

Yes it does (I think) have the lock-up torque converter. I was hoping it would do it's thing on it's own. But as I have been reading on the web it does have it's advantages being able to through a switch.

But if I remember right though I think the guy I got the trans from said the 4 prong switch was for the reverse light in the early 700R4's. I my be wrong... The guy I got the trans from is out of town for a month..

Will the trans self destruct if it is supposed to have the electrical hooked up?

As far as the TV cable it's all hooked up. I'm sure once I fire up the car I'll have to adjust it a tad.

As it turnes out I won't be running it this weekend. The driveshaft place made my driveshaft 2 1/2" too long. So it's back in the shop and I have a bad cold anyhow.

Think I'll stay in bed all weekend and play it safe.

Thanks..

Dave Booth http://www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Having run a 700 since the 80s,a common misconception is the 700's TV cable is ajustable. It is not a down shift cable like on a 350. The TV cable is designed to operate the shift feel, fluid pressure and points. The TV cable is designed to operate from ONE setting. With the cable fully retracted (push release button and pull cable back until it stops) it is SELF adjusted when you open the throttle to wide open and it ratchets back to the correct location. This is where it is suppossed to be. Changing it from that location only puts the transmission at risk for improper fluid pressures. If its really off, there goes your transmission. The auto setting is foolproof. Once in a while its good to recheck it as new cables stretch a little.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited December 02, 2000).]