HybridZ

RB20DET in 260z

Guest toolkit21

Guest toolkit21

hi there, I'm from Malaysia and hope to learn a few things about the Z before committing my purchase on one.

I've found a 260z with the engine restored to original specs. The owner, who is selling the car, wants to pull this engine (wiring and transmission) out and into another 240z project he's working on.

The case in Malaysia is that road tax is charged based on the engine capacity. So a 2.0litre pays lower road tax, 2.5litre is higher, and so forth. For me, engine power from an unmodified RB20DET is sufficient, and also for the lower road tax.

I would like to find out the pros and cons of 260z projects with RB20DET engines installed in them. Issues that may crop up regarding mounting, weight distribution, transmission types, exhausts, etc. would be greatly useful.

hi there, I'm from Malaysia and hope to learn a few things about the Z before committing my purchase on one.

I've found a 260z with the engine restored to original specs. The owner, who is selling the car, wants to pull this engine (wiring and transmission) out and into another 240z project he's working on.

The case in Malaysia is that road tax is charged based on the engine capacity. So a 2.0litre pays lower road tax, 2.5litre is higher, and so forth. For me, engine power from an unmodified RB20DET is sufficient, and also for the lower road tax.

I would like to find out the pros and cons of 260z projects with RB20DET engines installed in them. Issues that may crop up regarding mounting, weight distribution, transmission types, exhausts, etc. would be greatly useful.

Tell the owner to leave that particular car alone since it is restored to original specs and find another chassis.

It would be a complete waste.

Have you ever owned a Z before?

Guest toolkit21

I've thought of persuading the owner to leave the engine alone, but for the long-term maintenance I believe getting parts for RB20DET is easier than L26. Especially in Malaysia. The classic Z following is not highly supported as compared to USA/Aust/Japan.

I've not owned a Z before, but my dad had 2 units of 280ZX. After having a family, a 2+2 car is not so comfortable for the kids in the back.

I've thought of persuading the owner to leave the engine alone, but for the long-term maintenance I believe getting parts for RB20DET is easier than L26. Especially in Malaysia. The classic Z following is not highly supported as compared to USA/Aust/Japan.

I've not owned a Z before, but my dad had 2 units of 280ZX. After having a family, a 2+2 car is not so comfortable for the kids in the back.

Maybe sell it in Japan or Aust for some high dollars, then fund a nice project =)

Guest toolkit21
Go for the RB20.......I love mine! Boost equals things out....to a point!

your yellow (with black stripes) 240z looks awesome. but the RB20DET inside it looks even better.

was there issues with your 240z when mounting the RB20DET inside its original 2.4L engine bay?

as 260z has a longer bay, it may have issues with cooling.

your yellow (with black stripes) 240z looks awesome. but the RB20DET inside it looks even better.

was there issues with your 240z when mounting the RB20DET inside its original 2.4L engine bay?

as 260z has a longer bay, it may have issues with cooling.

The 240Z/260Z/280Z is the same size.

Guest toolkit21
The 240Z/260Z/280Z is the same size.

They're the same size???!!!

I've always thought engine bay sizes for "280zx" = "280z" > "260z" > "240z"??

Can I say then the mounting brackets are located on different sections for each of the generations?

They're the same size???!!!

I've always thought engine bay sizes for "280zx" = "280z" > "260z" > "240z"??

Can I say then the mounting brackets are located on different sections for each of the generations?

Only thing different was the transmission bracket. Obviously the 280ZX has more smog crap in the engine bay and clutter from tons of EFI stuff, but other than that, the motors mount the same...

Guest toolkit21

thanks heaps for the info guys.

so an RB20DET half-cut (engine, wiring, ecu, exhaust and transmission) fit nicely into a 260Z, right?

if that's so, then it's great news for me without having to work on too many custom parts.

thanks heaps for the info guys.

so an RB20DET half-cut (engine, wiring, ecu, exhaust and transmission) fit nicely into a 260Z, right?

if that's so, then it's great news for me without having to work on too many custom parts.

It's as if the Nissan engineers designed the car first before they designed the motor...

Almost all RB setups on this website, the bay is almost meant for it perfectly.

Guest toolkit21
It's as if the Nissan engineers designed the car first before they designed the motor...

Almost all RB setups on this website, the bay is almost meant for it perfectly.

But I'll still need to get crossmembers and mounts (eg. Castlemaine and McKinney) for engine and tranny?

Kit