HybridZ

Half shaft help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need to know if there's a trick or something for the half shafts to fit the R200. I have done the 180 to 200 swap and have the differential up in the back of the car. I am having trouble with getting the left half shaft in the differenatial all the way. The right one went in and had left over slack to partially pull it back out to hook up to the wheel. The left side will not fully go in. the half shafts are the same length when you compare them. The car is jacked up and the suspension is unloaded if that helps. I need help desperately! thanks

------------------

pics of my babies at www.rotarypowered.com/cym and at www.dodgeviper.net/260z

Guest Anonymous

I havn't done the swap, but recalled someone saying one side halfshaft flange where it goes into the diff was longer by a tad (1/4 inch). Here is a exerp from a page I found on it. (its from a member here Jeromio I believe is the name):

"Get the R-200 halfshafts too, halfshafts from all '75-83 R200's are identical. I consider these a necessary part. But be careful not to swap the halfshafts as the flange that slips into the differential on the passenger side is 1/4 inch longer than the driver side. I made this mistake and got 2 short (left) ones from the junkyard."

Hope this helps,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

When the car rolls, there is also a squeaking noise. I think the reason it squeaks is because it's either the shock or the sway bar (which isn't going through the control arm) there's a lot of tension on it. You think that the bushing could be the squeak sourse? It was also VERY hard to turn the wheels by hand and the ebrake isn't working (hopefully the two are tied together.)

------------------

The post above said any year 75-83. I'm pretty sure that's right. If it has an R200 in it and it's a 280Z or ZX, it ought to work. Just make sure you get the short one for the left side and a long one for the right side.

Sounds like you have the longer right shaft in the left hole. Or you didn't bottom it and go past the C-clip yet?

When you pull it out, measure the distance in that the C-clip is and compare it to the distance from the seal area/flange on the halfshaft and the C-clip groove. But this really isn't necessary if you have a short and a long halfshaft and put the short one in the left side.

Good luck!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

Well, I took it straight out of a 280ZX whole... they are the same size, there wasn't a short and a long... we tried it on both sides, but as I wrote that I realized, there is slack on the right side... they are switched, I will check tomorrow! I recall them being the same size. Thanks!!!!

------------------

The long one is only about .4" longer than the short one, the the difference is only on shaft part that is inserted into the diff. Both should "snap" in when inserted correctly, and not be able to pull out without some amount of prying first (once they are correctly installed.

Terry Oxandale

Guest MistaFosta

V8 VPR! Hey, how are you measuring the length?

Make sure to compress the half-shaft when you measure it. Or they all will be close. Trust me. (Bad honda engine swap experience, kept popping an axle on right turns).....

Good Luck

Guest Anonymous

Well, it is fixed, thank all of you who came to the rescue by giving me advice! It turned out that the half shafts were opposite. The right one was in the left, the left one was in the right. Thanks a lot! now I gotta get the new griffin radiator in. smile.gif

------------------