HybridZ

r154 short throw shifters

Guest allight

chopping the shifter does shorten the throw . On a rear wheel drive car where the the shifter is integrated into the trans, shortening the the shifter does shorten the throw of the shift lever. I have done it on my R154 trans and it feels 100% better. It is a totally different game when using a shifter that uses cables.

Seems to me that if you have a shifter with a pivot point somewhere in the middle of the rod you are still having to move the part bellow the pivot the same amount. After chopping it down the part above the pivot still has to move the same distance to make the shift. All this does is change the torque output of the lever. I think you would add length to the bottom to shorten the throw. But I do agree that shortening the top part would feel diffrent and in most cases better you just have to put more force into the shift useally not enough to matter. I believe the $200 shifter he is talking about probably shortens the throw by adding distance to the rod below the pivot and still allowing the upper part to have some length so you don't have to force the lever as much. But I could be wrong this is my understanding of the subject.

Shortening the top will do the same as elongating the bottom. If the top is shorter than the bottom then it has to travel a shorter distance to make the bottom travel farther.

But the transsmision will only travel the same even if you cut off the top of the shifter. Everything that is still there will travel the same distance, except your hand. I guess this is why some people call them quick shifters. If you grab the bottom of a shift lever that is not cut your hand dosn't have to move as far but everything else travels the same.

um, ever notice that those 200 dollar short throw shifters are about the same height as a stock stick? there is a reason for that. in a real race car you dont want that shift knob right ontop of the boot, its higher up so you can reach it. so for all you guys saying tell it to my cut stock shifter.. thats purely style, the better part for racing is the longer/short throw shifter. and they have a MUCH more direct feel, a much shorter throw, and are easily and quickly accessable from the steering wheel.

keep cutting those shifters and telling yourselfs you have done something besides just make it look cool. it "feels" different because you reduced your leverage on the pivot point. if your brain makes you think your shifting faster or more direct.. congrats, get in a car with real engineered short shifter and its a WHOLE different ballgame. its because they change the pivot point which changes angles. if someone doesnt beat me to it ill draw you a diagram and post it sometime tomorrow.

um, ever notice that those 200 dollar short throw shifters are about the same height as a stock stick? there is a reason for that. in a real race car you dont want that shift knob right ontop of the boot, its higher up so you can reach it. so for all you guys saying tell it to my cut stock shifter.. thats purely style, the better part for racing is the longer/short throw shifter. and they have a MUCH more direct feel, a much shorter throw, and are easily and quickly accessable from the steering wheel.

keep cutting those shifters and telling yourselfs you have done something besides just make it look cool. it "feels" different because you reduced your leverage on the pivot point. if your brain makes you think your shifting faster or more direct.. congrats, get in a car with real engineered short shifter and its a WHOLE different ballgame. its because they change the pivot point which changes angles. if someone doesnt beat me to it ill draw you a diagram and post it sometime tomorrow.

Thats how I see it.

I didn't claim that it was just as easy to shift. It's geometry and physics... I get it. I said it wasn't worth $200 to me to get a short shifter. I'm strong enough that a slightly harder shift is an excellent exchange for a shorter shift, plus it makes it harder to break the tranny through hard shifting.

Besides that, I'm not entirely sure the shifter in question does anything different than move the pivot point, which doesn't magically reduce the effort and the throw at the same time. It's a trade-off.