HybridZ

what r these and how do i fix this???please...

skewie09

ok, i will try to make this a quick story of how it all started..i just replaced the whole top end, and it ran great except for the minor backfire for the first 10min. of driving. i started to replace all my eccs and car was starting to run better N/A l28. i started to replace the vacuum advance and the screw that holds it was stripped.

so i had to get kinda rough with it so i had to start tapping it with a flat head and a hammer, i got it loose. next i had to loosen the screw below the rotor. i think the pieces i took off to get to the screw are the reluctor and something else.

once i replaced the vacuum advance, i started the engine and it kinda didnt want to start and then the accel. started to go up slowly and loudly, and ends up with an idle of 4500, i tried lowering the distributor timing, but it wont go any lower. so today i put the old vacuum advance in and noticed i had two small rings almost look like spacers and they are very small and have lined ridges on the outside of the ring. so the car is still doing it.

so i found some posts on here with similar problems but no answers and were mostly turbo's, i believe the assembly of the distr. is diff.

so is it possible when i was tapping the screw that i jumped some teeth on the timing and now the oil pump and dist. are out of alignment???

or can anyone tell me where these lil washer type things belong and if that might be the problem< they just look like spacers>?????

right now my Z is in the driveway and i have no clue what to do, sucks i just replaced the whole top end

The car wants to idle at 4500rpm? I have no idea how it could get enough air without the throttle being opened. You should get a rebuilt dist, cuz all l28e distributors wear out and then the timing jumps all over the place. make sure your throttle linkage is all good.

Ok, I pulled the whole distributor out and I noticed there is some oil in the bottom where the distributor meets with the other shaft(oil pump?).I didnt know if this could be my problem? Also, my buddy said that the intake manifold might have a gasket leak, I just put a new one on not to long ago, so I dont think that is the problem. Since I got the dist. off im going to try and get a better look at the Advance.

Ok, I have figured it out. The only problem I dont know if its fixable. Where the Vac Advance screws in(on the inside of the distributor). It screws into a plate that opens and closes the Advance from what i can see. Well, the plate that moves, does not move very well. It seems like its seized up or something. Wondering if anyone know of a way to fix this? Might go to pick a part and get a new distributor.