HybridZ

First Time Bodywork

78280z

I am starting my bodywork soon, I have accumulated everything I need. I have a '78 that I am going to save by replacing both rear quarters (complete replacements with doglegs and everything) and both rockers (complete replacements). I know it would be cheaper and less work to buy a clean shell, but I want the learning experience. I guess I'm jumping in headfirst since I don't have all that great of an idea of what I'm doing since I have never done bodywork before. So, I have a few questions.

1) I understand how patch panels are done. (Bad section is cut out, patch is carefully cut to match hole and create a butt joint, and tack welds are used along the entire seam.) I am confused though since I have complete replacement panels, should I be looking to take the old panels off by drilling out stock spot-welds and then put the replacements on by spot welding?

2) There are a few tiny holes in the floor and inner fender. Should 22 gauge sheet work for patching those?

Thanks in advance for any information and for your patience in dealing with my questions. I know I'm in over my head, but I want to learn. Thanks again, and I look forward to any input!

Thanks for the reply. Are there any diagrams anywhere that show the locations of the body panels' spot welds? I've been looking all over my factory service manual and other manuals and I can't find one. Is there an easy way to find the spot welds if there is no such diagram?