HybridZ

2.8L bolt up to 240Z 5 speed?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i know this is probably a stupid question, but will a 280Z 2.8L bolt up to a 240Z 5 speed? how strong are the 240Zs drivetrain components? and did the 240s come with the R180 or R200 differential?

Guest Anonymous

I could be wrong(nO!), but I'm quite sure 240s only came with 4 speed manuals, not 5 speed. I've never seen a 5 speed original 240 anyhow....

All L engine bolt patterns are the same, any L engine transmission can bolt up to any other L engine. You might have to fiddle with things like clutch parts, driveshafts, and such, but they will all physically bolt up to any L engine and will work just fine with the proper combination of parts.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

240Zs all came with R180 diffs in either 3.36 or 3.54 ratios. No limited slips were ever offered in 240Zs.

No 240Z was ever offered in the US by Nissan with a 5 speed, although lots of folks have swapped in 280Z 5 speeds. That may be what's on the 240Z you're looking at.

240Z drivetrains can handle about 300 ft. lbs. of torque and some people even run higher torque levels on the street without problems. You must pay attention to greasing the u-joints, changing diff fluid, making sure the mounts are good, etc.

------------------

John Coffey

johnc@betamotorsports.com

quote:

Originally posted by johnc:

No 240Z was ever offered in the US by Nissan with a 5 speed, although lots of folks have swapped in 280Z 5 speeds. That may be what's on the 240Z you're looking at.

Didn't the dealers offer a retro-fitted FS5C17A (roadster) 5-speed option on the 240's, before the Z 5-speed transmissions were available?

Whether it was a dealer option or not, this mod was also done, and the "A" trans was shorter than the later Z 5-speeds. In this case you would have to use the driveshaft from the 240 (assuming that the rear flange would still mate to the 280 diff), and the shift linkage might not line up with the console on the inside.

That said, I agree that it's more likely just a retrofitted Z 5-speed. Just something to check for...

Guest Anonymous

well then, since i have a 280Z parts car(unfoutunately it is missing its 5 speed) would its R200 fit in a 240 without modification? to tell you the truth, i would probably rather a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed. as long as i can get a broad, smooth torque band out of the turbo 6 then it will mean i won't have to shift as much. it would be great to be able to run an entire autocross cours in 2nd gear!!

David, your R200 will swap right over--all you need is the mustache bar and possibly the rear crossmember if your 240 is a '70 or '71. You should find out what the gear ratio is in the R200 before committing to a tranny, just to make sure you really won't need that 5th gear. smile.gif

Happy motoring!

David

the 5 speeds for street cars (not competition) are all overdrive so all the other gears are almost identical. the OD varies from .79 to .81 and some Japanese units are .86(imported trannys).

the 5 speed is a worthwhile upgrade if you ever drive the highways for more than 20 minutes at a time..IMO a 240 with a 4 speed is there only until it gets a 5 . or its a early car restored for originality.