HybridZ

Shaking problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I recently swapped out my R180 for an R200. Worked great for about a week or so. Then, as I was driving down the interstate at about 75, the car started shaking violently. I pulled off at the next exit and checked the tranny fluid level (I had a small leak in the cooler line) it was TOTALLY EMPTY so then I proceeded to add 4, yes 4 quarts of tranny fluid to top it off. I started back on the interstate, didn't fix anything. I got it back home, went back up underneath the car to check driveshaft, etc... I can't find the problem. If anyone knows that the problem is, please let me know or I'm gonna be stranded somewhere when I find it. Thanks By the way, 78 350, TH350 tranny, R200 diff and half shafts.

------------------

pics of my babies at www.rotarypowered.com/cym and at www.dodgeviper.net/260z

quote:

Originally posted by V8 VPR:

Does anyone read these anymore?

Yes, we do, but having an intelligent answer for you...well that takes cash, my friend.

Seriously, I read your problem a while back and I was befuddled by the lack of more information regarding a possible leak. Have you had any more leaking? or can you see any evidence of a leak anywhere? ATF does not usually evaporate; I has to go somewhere! Give us some more info, please. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

U-joints look ok? All the bolts are tight at the pinion input flange? Does it change with speed (ie worse the faster you go?). Did the driveshaft throw a balance weight possibly? Those would be the things I'd look at. If the driveline angle is to great, it could have munched a u-joint. Just some things to check.

Lone

V8 VPR,

Sorry, I read that real quick at work the other day and didn't have an answer.

But I have something to check for on that disappearing tranny fluid - That sounds exactly like what happens when the vacuum shift modulator (little can on the tranny that a vacuum line hooks to) diaphragm gets a hole in it. The engine starts sucking the tranny dry. Notice any smoke in the exhaust lately? BTW, the part is pretty cheap and easy to change.

It could be that the low fluid was causing the car to vibrate as well.

Good Luck.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I have some more news on the problem. I haven't had the time to get under there since your replies, but I was taking another test drive when I went around the corner and heard a loud pinging pop noise from the rear. Sounds like another diff. I think instead of the junkyard R200, I'll buy a new one this time. Any thoughts?

------------------

pics of my babies at www.rotarypowered.com/cym and at www.dodgeviper.net/260z

I think I know what your problem may be and

there are some very old post from me about it. In short, there is a large steel shaft

about the size of your thumb that the planetary gears ride on. there is also a very small roll pin that holds this shaft in place. under a very hard load that little

roll pin will sheer thus allowing the larger thumb size shaft to walk back and fourth.

When this happens the large shaft will slide

into the pinion gear and get chewed up pretty bad. I broke mine at the track

and when it did it made a pretty bad mess

of the diff.....

Myron