HybridZ

ssautochrome turbo headers?

I have searched and found some info on this companies stuff and everyone seems to be bashing them. Are they really that bad? I ran across them and am really just interested in the headers. Also, has anyone actually put these on a sbc in the z engine bay or ran them? They kinda look like they would fit, I emailed them trying to get some dimensions and got no response.

James

James,

I think they have been bashed for their Chinese made turbos more than anything else. From what I have read they don't hold up the same and some have purportedly been 'glued' together. I won't buy anything other than name brand in a turbo, but headers? Maybe. They look good to me and are made of stainless steel. The pics show decent welds too. I have not heard too many complain about the headers, so you might as well take the plunge and let us know what you find out. You won't find more bang for the buck if the quality is decent, that's for sure.

Davy

Hey James,

I have a set of them for a RB25det, the quality isn't bad some of the bolt holes were out though and I did need to modify them a bit to get em to fit right. I think for the price you can't go wrong, I mean if you can buy 3 or 4 sets for the same price of a set of "good" headers" and you don't cry if you have to hack them up or modify them to fit. I say go for it.

Cheers Chris

No im gonna find them cheap ones, while were talking about this I want to ask some questions. I have never messed with turbo setups I have a couple friends that I have seen messing with turbos on their imports but nothing really in depth. I have been reading alot about blow through setups and im gonna go that direction just because I have alot of the parts already needed for it like carb, bonnet, fuel pump and regulator. Im not really sure what turbos that I should look at buying though. The motor is going to be a 400 small block, it has a set of forged dished trw pistons, eagle rods and a stock cast crank. Im going to be using a set of factory gm 441 heads so the compression should be right around 8.5 to 1. I want to get the turbo setup dialed in then put a real motor together for the setup. Will two t3t4's work for me......maybe to small or to big...... I need somone that knows a little more about turbo sizes and stuff to point me in a direction. Anything helps

James

No im gonna find them cheap ones, while were talking about this I want to ask some questions. I have never messed with turbo setups I have a couple friends that I have seen messing with turbos on their imports but nothing really in depth. I have been reading alot about blow through setups and im gonna go that direction just because I have alot of the parts already needed for it like carb, bonnet, fuel pump and regulator. Im not really sure what turbos that I should look at buying though. The motor is going to be a 400 small block, it has a set of forged dished trw pistons, eagle rods and a stock cast crank. Im going to be using a set of factory gm 441 heads so the compression should be right around 8.5 to 1. I want to get the turbo setup dialed in then put a real motor together for the setup. Will two t3t4's work for me......maybe to small or to big...... I need someone that knows a little more about turbo sizes and stuff to point me in a direction. Anything helps

James

join www.theturboforum.com look under sbc section.. your mind will explode

real all the F.A.Q stickies in the noob section, blow thrugh, and sbc section...all your questions will be anwsered

alot will be answered in this http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61219.0 thread alone....its very impressive

Yea that website is kinda what made me want to build a turbo setup. I actually read completely through that thread and it took me about 2 weeks of reading on it at night. It is absolutely amazing what you can do with a good worn in small block. I spent about 4 hours tonight reading through all the noobie stuff and you were right, almost every question I would have had was answered. It seems to me for a street car two of the t3/t4 hybrid turbos would work well. I think im gonna start a build thread in a week or two when I start getting some more of the parts in.

James

FWIW, SSAutochrome gets bashed a lot on the honda forums. Look at honda-tech.com and search for ssautochrome in the forced induction forum. Most agree that the basic design is good but complain about cracks developing early, too thin tubing, and not being braced properly causing the weight of the turbo to cause cracking. Some peeps defend them as a good cheap alternative.

A neighbor of mine does alot of business with china, and he said the reason for the cracking is the chinese grade stainless is very porous and thin and this makes it very prone to cracking. If you get something made in china, out of aluminum, then its fine, as there aluminum is near the same as ours. Its pretty much there stainless thats lacking quality.

Yea that website is kinda what made me want to build a turbo setup. I actually read completely through that thread and it took me about 2 weeks of reading on it at night. It is absolutely amazing what you can do with a good worn in small block. I spent about 4 hours tonight reading through all the noobie stuff and you were right, almost every question I would have had was answered. It seems to me for a street car two of the t3/t4 hybrid turbos would work well. I think im gonna start a build thread in a week or two when I start getting some more of the parts in.

James

took me a weeks to read that thread also, haha.. but in there is VERY good info.

what that guy did with a 100k mile stock 2-bolt 350 is truly amazing...24#boost + 125 shot of nitrous... farm truck heads w/ 1.77" intake valves got him into the 9's with a 3600# car. held up to 60 1/4 mile runs and 33 dyno pulls or something like that.. put down something like 680hp to the wheels