HybridZ

Replacing grease cap on 300zx half shaft?

Hello,

I need to install a new grease cap (not sure what it is called) on one of my 300zx half shafts. (see pics below)

I'm assuming you need to press the cap and then lightly tap it in. Similar to how you install pistons into an engine block. Does anyone have instructions or suggestions on how to do this correctly? Also, what tool(s) do you recommend to install this cap?

Thanks,

IMG_0895_s_thumb.JPG

IMG_0896_s_thumb.JPG

IMG_0898_s_thumb.JPG

With the cap in place like you have in the last picture use a soft faced mallet or a dead blow hammer and tap the cap into place. It does not take much force and when the shafts are installed in the car the caps are captive and will not come off.

Dragonfly

It's somewhat of a press fit... the material of the cap will give a little bit but not enough to cause a visible deformation. It should go in quite easily with a few light taps, if it does not go in easily or it tries to deform on you than the cap is not correct for your CV, but from the picture it looks like the correct one.

Dragonfly