HybridZ

Need some help with my distributor

skewie09

Ok, first of all thanks for reading my post, any help is great.

My distributor froze up a couple days ago. So i found another distributor with brand new guts, but the housing in not to great condition.

I transfered everything to my housing, well here is the problem. I think i misaligned something, when i start my Z all it does is whine and not catch. I know the rotar and shaft are turning, but something is not letting it start.

I was wondering if someone can find me a picture of a 83 l28 non turbo distributor. I need to see what the distributor insides look like from the top view. Without the cap and rotor on. Thanks

Ok that pic helps a lot, if you look at the pic you posted the two bolts on the inside that are almost touching the inside of the dist. housing. You notice the lowest plate that those bolts hold, there are two small notches. my dist. is in the other notch unlike yours. I will try to switch um. thanks for the pic

Ok, I figured it all out. I went to the junkyard got a "looked" like it was brand new distributor. It was off a 82-83 I think 280zx GL non turbo automatic. I have a 83 GL non/5spd. I did some tinkering with them and found out that the one i got from the junkyard is not reaching the weights and springs on the bottom inside of the distr. So now I have a new looking dist. that i cant use and an old one that is seized up. So idk. I was gonna try and take the piece I need off the newer one, but I dont know how to get the pin out that holds the gear that is on the shaft. If anyone knows what im talking about.

The distributor is timed and set. Now the car is doing the same thing that it was doing when I started. I ajusted the TPS setting completely oppisite of what it was and now the RPMs are jumping in between 1000 and 3000. So when I start it, it climbs to 3000 and then drops somewhat quickly down to 1000 and then back up. Is this sounding like the TPS is bad or does it sound like its trying to help my unknown problem??

Thanks for reading.