HybridZ

I need some reviews on Turbo 350 Trans

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

as far as how high the engine is running at 60MPH and how good the top end is since its only a 3 speed

its right not my top pick for my V8ZX since the price is very nice I would like to put a 6speed or 4 speed in but once again Im cheap lol

if you guys like them wheres the best place around online that has ads for trans "maryland area"

its bolting up to a 84 vette 350 with once step up cam and a performer intake/4bar carb

thanks

Jeff 280ZXT

For daily driving and hiway miles the th350 is probably NOT your best choice..

I have a 3:54 diff and the 1:1 final drive

tranny. The car tachs around 3300 at 75MPH.

My 97 TransAm tachs around 2200 at 85Mph

Get you a good overdrive from somewhere

if you want to cruiz around alot....

Myron

Guest Anonymous

so pretty much its going to be the same as it is now with the L28T and 3 Speed just with a SBC and not a import "import being higher revs"

my car is a weekend car I have a Civic for everyday driving

over all its not to hard on the engine other then MPG? also what kind of top end?

Jeff

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff 280ZXT:

just trying to get more people to look

anymore reviews?

Reviews/comments on what? The TH350 is fine and reliable and can often be had for next to nothing if you're patient. As you know you'll run higher rpm's. What do you want to know about topend? For rpm's just do the math for your intended setup. If you don't have your own spreadsheet this one works fine http://www.off-road.com/tools/gearcalc.html

there's many others but they all do the same thing (Drax had a rather all inclusive one..)

Downside of higher rpm's are increased wear/decreased life from any and all components but what come to mind mostly for me are the valvesprings if you have a more lively setup, just something to be aware of. One friend's ran more sbc's and bbc's than I've driven cars total and has no problem cruising at 3000 or 4000rpm, just his perogative. They were normally coupled with 'lower' diff ratios (2.53/2.79 for eg.)so ran lower rpm's in their OE design.

If you do go with one choose your tailshaft so if you change to a t5 or 700R4 you can use the same driveshaft wink.gif

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

my question is pretty much review on that trans in a Z I've heard alot of people that say don't waste your time since it runs at too high of a RPM and with this being a weekend car I told them I don't mind so much but they all push on it being bad

I just want to hear from people that have them with what they think about MPG and 0-60 and top end

trust me I would love a 700R4 but at this time I really don't want to spend the extra money I can get a TH350 for around 50 bucks 100-200 rebuilt

best I've seen so far on a 700R4 is 700 bucks

right now I run very high RPMS 3-4K when just driving around so Im use to it

Jeff 280ZXT "3 speed"

Jeff,

I've ran both the TH350 and the 700R4 in my 74 260Z so I've seen both sides of the fence. Both transmissions are equally strong as each other. The 700R4 initially got a bad rap because of inferior clutch packs and lack-luster valve bodies in 84, 85, and 86. Most of these issues were resolved in the 87.5 model year. As for which is better suited in a Z, more of a personal and financial decision.

TH350 - Pro's

Very easy to find and even cheaper to build. High stall torque converters can be had for as cheap as $100. Also, every transmission shop will know how to rebuild a TH350 in their sleep. In fact, I think there is VIDEO kit from Summit that walks through a complete rebuild of this transmission. Aftermarket shifters for 3 speeds are also plentiful and cheap.

TH350 - Con's

NO OVERDRIVE!!! I cannot stress how much of a pain in the ass it was not having an overdrive. Even cruising at a conservative 65 mph, the engine would over heat and oil would be spewing out of the valve cover breathers (the engine had 5000 miles at the time... barely broken in). Top speed was only 110 mph bouncing off the 6K rev limiter. Don't forget that the looser the converter is, the further away from 1:1 the drive ratio becomes... even above stall speed. All TH350's will have less than a 1:1 final drive ratio in third gear.

700R4 - Pro's

OVERDRIVE!!! With the overdrive, my overheating problem disappeared and my valve covers once again were clean (and stayed clean). I'm not sure what the top speed is now, but 150 mph is VERY obtainable. Also, these transmissions are becoming more and more popular in the "Hot Rodding" scene so it seems like more and more aftermarket parts are popping up for this transmission daily. Another cool feature is the ability to use (you don't have to if you don't want) a lock-up torque converter. Once locked up in fourth gear, the final drive ratio will be a true 0.7:1.

7000R4 - Con's

More difficult to come by than the 3-speed. Knowledgeable people towards this transmission can be hard to come by. A throttle valve cable MUST be used (similar to a kickdown for the TH350). Torque converters are usually three times more expensive. Drivability, although just as capable as a TH350, requires more tuning and modifications. The price is usually more than a TH350. Finally, shifters for the 4 speed are far and few between. It seems that B&M is the only manufacturer that makes a somewhat OK looking shifter (The Hammer). I've got this unit in my Z and it fit's OK, but is not my first choice for styles.

Was the extra cost of the overdrive worth the drivability? Absolutely! Before the overdrive, highway driving (over 60mph) was something I dreaded. Now, highway driving is actually fun. The exhaust isn't wailing and the economy is now comparable to a full sized truck... wait, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not wink.gif Seriously though, mpg went from 10 to something like 16 or 17. Another thing that turned out better than I thought was all the additional requirements for the 700R4. The T.V. cable is a no-brainer (which is the only reason I was able to accomplish it) to install and adjust and the lockup converter can easily be wired with the Painless wiring kit that you find in Summit or Jegs.

One more thing that I think you should re-consider is the price. $700 sounds a little high for a 700R4. I bought mine four years ago for $250 out of a junked 1987 Z28 Camaro. They are a little difficult to find... but they are out there.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

I have a 280ZX and use a 2004R trans. This unit was in the Buick Gran National, Monte Carlo SS's and a number of other GM vehicles. The trans will stand quite a bit of abuse behind a small block. My Z has a 331 cu.in. chevy which dyno's at 407 HP. The 2004R is modified, however has survived very well. It is smaller and lighter, uses less HP to drive and the gear ratio is not as spread out as the 700R4/4L60E. The best part is they are cheap. High stall converters are availble as well as the original Gran National which is about a 2400 stall. This is just another option and will give you the overdrive.