HybridZ

Rads/fans/What cars could work.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm trying to get a little more info on rad & fan combos. If possible who ever reads this post could you tell me what rad & fan setup you used, and if you guys could let me know what kind of HP you are pushing this also would be a big help.

I know alot of you guys use the rads and fans out of the camaros, what year camaros? Has anyone ever used or know someone who has used rad/fan combo out of a caprice? What about trucks, I saw alot of trucks, with some big rads. Anyone using any other different combos? I'm trying to go with a junkyard setup(save money).

Depending on what I do next, I may have a two speed taurus fan forsale. I don't have room with my current setup.

Any info would be a big help.

Thanks, Tom

[ May 03, 2001: Message edited by: tjc74 ]

Guest Anonymous

And one more question. does sealing the rad{gaps were the rad mounts to the crossmember} help that much? I am running a little warm.

Sorry about all the questions, but you guys have been helpful. icon_razz.gif

Thanks, Tom

[ May 03, 2001: Message edited by: tjc74 ]

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Kevin Shasteen:

[QB]I havent done my swap so I cant tell you what to use; but I can tell you that the Z eng bay gets really hot & you'll want to use a Radiator Shroud. So make sure your set up includes a Shroud...even if you have to fabricate one.

I want to go with an electric fan (with shroud)set up, if I can get something to fit. I think I may have to alter the crossmember, I have about 8 inches from the crossmember to the pulleys {time to start cutting). I think the Z has more room in the engine bay. I guess I should of kept my Z!

Guest zfan

Im currently using a griffith aluminum 19/24 inch radiator with a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan. It comes with a shroud. My set up is a sbc 355 with about 400 to 420 hp. I had heat problems until I got this install set up. Ive got it on a toggle switch in car on ccenter counsel. The toggle is a three way two speed type for high and low on fan. I do not trust the thermostats so use the manual method. To each his own though. Put inline fuse and fuseable link as this type of set up, uses lots of amps. My fuse box did not like this so I directly hooked up to the altenator for juice. Mike

• 2 years later...

I have a Taurus SHO fan setup waiting to go into my car but the shroud will need some work to fit my rad. On a side note. I was at my fathers shop a few weeks ago and they were stripping down a Tempo. It had the same two speed fan as the Taurus. The shroud is a little different and I may end up using that one instead.

a lot of the chevy truck rads, along with the caprice rad, are too long to fit in the z.the radiator can't be longer than the width between the frame rails, which is about 26". you should really get a copy of the JTR manual as it contains a lot of information on this topic not to mention many others. as far as fans go i think the taurus setup is probably one of the best. you have to be careful when looking for the right fan. you need to find one with 3 wires going into the motor (2 speed fan) as opposed to the 2 wire version (1 speed fan) which is found in earlier taurus's and most tempos. to top that, i also found that there are at least two different 2 speed versions of the taurus fan. one has a fan diameter of about 16 1/2" and the other is about 15".

a lot of the chevy truck rads, along with the caprice rad, are too long to fit in the z.the radiator can't be longer than the width between the frame rails, which is about 26". you should really get a copy of the JTR manual as it contains a lot of information on this topic not to mention many others. as far as fans go i think the taurus setup is probably one of the best. you have to be careful when looking for the right fan. you need to find one with 3 wires going into the motor (2 speed fan) as opposed to the 2 wire version (1 speed fan) which is found in earlier taurus's and most tempos. to top that, i also found that there are at least two different 2 speed versions of the taurus fan. one has a fan diameter of about 16 1/2" and the other is about 15".

I figured that most Tempo fans would be the one speed type. Thats why I was so happy to find this one. I'm not sure about the diameter but it's the same size around as my Taurus SHO fan.

utvolman99,

could you post a picture of that fan? and what year tempo did it come out of? the reason i ask is that in the JTR manual they show one that has a slightly different shroud than the two that i have found. it has two mounting tabs on the top of the shroud which makes the install cleaner and more professional looking.

utvolman99' date='

could you post a picture of that fan? and what year tempo did it come out of? the reason i ask is that in the JTR manual they show one that has a slightly different shroud than the two that i have found. it has two mounting tabs on the top of the shroud which makes the install cleaner and more professional looking.[/quote']

I will post a pic but I'm not sure if it is the one from the book. This one has a similar shroud but the mating surface between the shroud and the radiator has no cut outs like my SHO fan. It is a flat surface that will seal against the rad. Also, there is a place on my SHO shroud where the fan bulges out from the bottom line of the shroud. It is not like that on the Tempo fan. The only draw back to the tempo fan is that the shroud is not square. It is like a square with the corner cut off.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that my rad is a little (I think 1") narrower than most griffins that people are using for the Z. I just got a really good deal and went with it. I will try to post pics this afternoon. If not this afternoon tomorrow night.