HybridZ

Need some guidelines for redline...

2savage

My track car is now pretty much ready and I've been testing with much success (it is also road legal, registered and inspected). I installed a shift light and need to have some idea where I should set this to protect the engine from abuse. Here's my setup...

2.8 L6, balanced and blueprinted (piston type not known)

E88 head, ported with three angle valve seats

3/4 race cam (make unknown)

triple weber 45 DCOE's, set for power above 3500

Stahl 2" headers

Mallory Firewire 6 ignition module

Mallory magnetic induction distributor

I know the ignition and fuel system can handle high rpm's but I don't know enough about the durability of the L6 rotating mechanism to have a realistinc redline. All suggestions assistance is appreciated.

There was a thread going around here recently (or maybe a sticky) that quite extensively talks about the guidelines of how to calculate a redline. Search and you should find it pretty quick.

My first search didn't show much, but IIRC it was one of grumpyvette's writeups, so keep looking you'll find it.

What are you using for a crank pulley?

From what I understand the stock L28 ones come apart easily at high rpm (+6.5k).

Mario

I think it's stock. I'll start looking for something better. Any suggestions? I only need one belt for the alternator. No other stuff left up front.