HybridZ

260Z Hatch rust and floorpan

Hi all I have a few questions.

Today I took to grinding the hatch area to get rid of the rust and paint and did so, mostly successfully (see pics).

100_3193.jpg

100_3192.jpg

100_3195.jpg

Then I took up the carpet and found a bunch of panels that have the consistency of tar and they are "glued" or more plainly "stuck" to the panels, so I took a chisel and after like 2 hours got some of it off and ground to the bare metal. What is this stuff?!?!? (see pics)

100_3188.jpg

100_3185.jpg

100_3191.jpg

Finally, I bought some 26 gauge sheet metal and this guy I know said he'll sell me his mig welder. It's an Easy Mig 100 and here are the specs

*90 amp flux wire

*120v/60HZ

*31V Adjustment Positions: 2 Steps Range of current 50-80amp Duty Cycle: 15%@80A; 20%@65A;

Rated duty cycle: 10%@90amps Insulation Class: F Welding wire size:.035" to 040"

Can i use .03" wire to weld the 26 gauge steel to the body? If not what gauge and wire should I use for the body?? I have a friend that welds and he usually uses an arc welder which he let me borrow but it pretty much burns through all my practice metal.

The stuff you’re referring to is primarily used for sound dampening and insulation. I just did the same thing to my car, and there numerous post on here on how to remove it. Just search “ sound dampening”. I had the best results using a "Pneumatic scraper" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95826. It worked wonder for me.