HybridZ

queston about adujsting the air flow meter(new idea)

• Administrators
wait so the only way to lean out my ratio is by manually adjusting my afm?

Go back an re-read Noodles posts. He's telling you how he went leaner. In a nutshell, If you provide less resistance than the water temp sensor normally would, your mixture will be leaner than it normally would.

You do understand that there is risk in playing with this stuff, right?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go back an re-read Noodles posts. He's telling you how he went leaner. In a nutshell, If you provide less resistance than the water temp sensor normally would, your mixture will be leaner than it normally would.

You do understand that there is risk in playing with this stuff, right?

I only wanted to change the AFR a little, so doing what I did, done what I wanted,

also I'm not running a turbo.

I done this a year or 2 before I got my wide band' date=' so doing the above [b']I though it should be with in a safe limit[/b]

on my car the lean setting is about 1 and a bit AFR leaner than normal

Nigel

from what i understand his "lean mode" is achived by connecting the two wires (that go to the temp sensor) toghther. by doing this you will be as lean as possible becouse there is no resistance at all. is this right?

right now my car is running pretty rich so i'm trying to lean it out.

don't make fun but i drew this picture. tell me if it's right.?

tempsensormodifications.jpg

• Administrators
you will be as lean as possible becouse there is no resistance at all. is this right?

That statement (as I cropped it) is technically true... *BUT*, If your car is running so rich that it needs this to be done then there is something wrong. You should be chasing your problem, not covering it up.

• Administrators

Here is a mixture controller I built a little while back that I gave to Ron Tyler. That was my “tuning” box for tuning customers OE EFI. It gets wired into the water temp sender, or for diagnosing can be used in place of the water temp sender. The dial is variable resistor (POT) and is 0-1000 ohms. I also included a single pole double throw switch that in one direction was just he POT, in the other direction added another 1000 ohms to whatever the variable resistor was set at, middle was open circuit, infinite ohms and will flood the engine, not useful. For seat of the pants tuning, with POT at say 250 ohms, I could then flip the switch at WOT and feel/hear/see any difference in how the car ran in real time. I would just narrow down the resistance value to what the engine likes best using that method and then once I narrowed it down, I would just add a resistor with that value in series the water temp sender. Of course there was also fiddling with AFM spring tension for par throttle cruise. On the dyno, just turn the dial till the engine made max power. Simple.

BlackboxMedium.jpg

• Administrators
Here is a mixture controller I built a little while back that I gave to Ron Tyler. That was my “tuning” box for tuning customers OE EFI.

That little box is a great tuning and diagnostic tool. It can be used in series with the existing sensor or it can be used to *bypass* the sensor.

Depends on MANY factors and I don’t understand the point in this question as it applies to this discussion?

His post detailing that he wants to lean out showed up after my post.

That was the first mention of leaning since everybody else was talking about enrichment schemes.

I build nissan ecus and air flow meters for a living and have special testers for them and might be able to see how far you can skew readings from sensors before the ecu no longer does a mild adjustment but instead decides your car is cold and reverts to cold operation.

Sadly.......I am way understaffed and most of my free time is in 2 minute snippets so all I can do is post from my experiences and off the top of my head because I have no time for research.

Maybe this weekend I can give the definitive answer on a number of ecus for nissan Z cars.

• Administrators

That was the first mention of leaning since everybody else was talking about enrichment schemes.

Actually, he brought that scenario up in post 5.

I build nissan ecus and air flow meters for a living and have special testers for them and might be able to see how far you can skew readings from sensors before the ecu no longer does a mild adjustment but instead decides your car is cold and reverts to cold operation.

Not sure I follow. As I undestand it, with these ECU's, "cold running" is only handled by the water temp sensor, and its simply a 'compensation'... no 'cold operation mode'. Thats what my experience tells me. If you've found something different, I'd really like to understand.

Ok I built a devise that is working. I am able to lean out my mixture and richen it up as well. There is also a position that will give me the stock settings. This position just reconnects the wires together.

So what I did was use a three position switch.

One position was lean mode one was rich and the other was just reconnecting the stock wires were they are suppose to be.

In rich mode it connected the signal that comes out of the temp sensor to a potentiometer. The more resistance I put on the wire the richer it gets. I used a 500 ohm potentiometer but I think I should have used a 1000.

For lean mode I basically just connected the constant wire to the out put of the temp sensor wire. But before I connected them together I put a potentiometer on the wire of the constant. The less resistance you put on the constant wire the less gas is used.

In stock mode I just reconnected the wires to their original places.

Now I can fully adjust my fuel mixture from inside my car. I don't expect you guys to know what I just said so here is a picture I drew on Photoshop to help you understand what I did. It’s not that good so rontyler if you want you can remake a better one. Or anyone else. Go for it. Hope this helps, and yes it did work. The second I flip the switch the computer adjusts in a second.

100_0914.jpg

tempsensormodificator.jpg