HybridZ

rear strut bar help

I bought MSA's rear strut bar. When I went to install it there is not enough room to get the lock washer and nut back on the three studs. Not even enough for just the nut. I didn't have this problem with the front.

Has any one else had this problem?

If so what are my options?

I have searched with no luck.

This should be in the brakes/wheels/suspension/chassis forum. Rear strut bars have nothing to do with the L6 engine. I'm moving the thread.

That said there are many ways to flex a chassis. Stiff springs, hard cornering, engine torque, rough roads, angled driveways, etc. Torquing the REAR strut towers with the engine is not really all that likely in my opinion. The mustache bar mounts that take the engine torque seem much better designed to deal with it than the front crossmember. A strut bar on a 134whp car makes perfect sense.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the vinyl on the strut tower. Is it pretty thick right there? Could that be the difference? I seem to remember the strut tops had the same studs front and back, so that wouldn't make any difference at all. You might be able to cut the vinyl around the strut bar.

This should be in the brakes/wheels/suspension/chassis forum. Rear strut bars have nothing to do with the L6 engine. I'm moving the thread.

That said there are many ways to flex a chassis. Stiff springs, hard cornering, engine torque, rough roads, angled driveways, etc. Torquing the REAR strut towers with the engine is not really all that likely in my opinion. The mustache bar mounts that take the engine torque seem much better designed to deal with it than the front crossmember. A strut bar on a 134whp car makes perfect sense.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the vinyl on the strut tower. Is it pretty thick right there? Could that be the difference? I seem to remember the strut tops had the same studs front and back, so that wouldn't make any difference at all. You might be able to cut the vinyl around the strut bar.

Thanks for moving the thread. I will have to try moving the vinyl out of the way.

Out of curiousity, why would you install a rear strut bar? You're making 134 rwhp, are you still worried about chassis flex? Or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time....LOL

I am going to do some autocross this summer and want to keep things as planted as possible. What do you think they are used for drag racing?

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiousity, why would you install a rear strut bar? You're making 134 rwhp, are you still worried about chassis flex? Or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time....LOL

You need to do a little more reading, and less flaming. Strut tower bars a used mainly to prevent strut tower flexing under heavy cornering forces. This has absolutely noting to do with how much torque/power you engine makes.