HybridZ

L28 + 5-spd into 240z

Flexicoker

I have a few questions that I could not find answers for in all of my searching. I have a 1981 L28E and 5-spd. that I plan to carburate put in my '73 240z ('71 SU's and exhaust manifold)

My questions are:

Is the 5-spd a direct replacement for the 4-spd (provided I'm using the L28 clutch/flywheel) I had heard that a 5-spd needs a new driveshaft, but I think that was only the T5.

Will the L28 exhaust manifold bolt to my MSA exhaust for a '71? If not, is it alright to use my '71 exhaust manifold (square ports) with the P79 (round ports I think)

Will I need new needles for my SU's?

Thanks,

Eric

I just did about 5 minutes worth of searching for you.

Square port exhaust to round port head is fine.

For the transmission, you need to get the Crossmember AND the Driveshaft out of the 5 speed car, which will make it a direct bolt in.

It wasn't hard to find.

for the exhaust I searched for

Square port Exhaust Round port

and for the transmission I searched for

240z 5 speed driveshaft.

The search feature we have here is a WONDERFUL tool. So next time try using it. 99% of the time, it's been asked, answered, and re-answered MANY times in the past.

oh, and as for the new needles, I don't think so. I've never messed with SU's but they might need to be tuned a little richer to make up for the added displacement. Try running a search for that too (Something like, SU's on l28 would seem logical)

For the transmission, you need to get the Crossmember AND the Driveshaft out of the 5 speed car, which will make it a direct bolt in.

Wrong and wrong. An 81-83 ZX N/A 5-speed bolted right into my '73 240z, original cross member and driveshaft.

:wc: Yes to all of it. The L28 is a drop in. You may want to use the special limiter pieces that the L28 has on it from its former auto. What I am talking about is the metal parts just above the mounting pads, where the engine bolts to the frame. It keeps the block from moving under loaded conditions. I will try to take some pictures today and post them. The 5-speed transmission is also a drop in. Depending on what year you use, you may have to cut some metal in front of the old hole in the transmission tunnel. The 280Zx 5-speed moves the shifter lever forward a short distant and requires the cutting of the tunnel. The 280Z 5-speed does not require the cutting. About the drive shaft, you can use the four speeds drive shaft, but I have used the 5-speed drive shaft out of the 280Z most of the time. If your needles in the SU's are for the L24, then yes you will need to change them. The exhaust manifolds should change over also. Good Luck, Rich.:wink: