HybridZ

Choosing tire profiles for staggered width rims

I couldn't find this subject has been covered much through searching.

I'm trying to figure out the "best" tire combination to go with my 7" and 8" wide rims.

I'm thinking of going with some Kumho Ecsta SPT's. 205-50-R17 in front for the 7" wide rim, and 225-45-R17's for the 8" rears. I think these sizes might fit the best going by their spec chart...but I could be wrong.

Using different profiles (50 front and 45 rear) will be 25" and 25.1" diameter tire, respectively. This will give me roughly equal tire / wheel heights.

If I go with the 45 series on both, (but 215 instead of 205 on the front) it would be 24.6" front and 25.1" rear diameters. This is closer to the stock diameter in front, but then the tire / wheel heights will be 1/2" different.

What do our resident experts recommend? Am I making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be?

Here are the rims: http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=874333&postcount=23

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks! -hughdogz

Sweet looking rims.

Personally I would match the tire diameters, like you have with your first selection of tires sizes to be within .1" since you have found tires that will allow it.

In theory this will keep braking biasing more closely matched to what a same size all around will be.

The car will sit more level, keeping the suspension geometry all in check, caster angles, and suspension reaction will remain constant.

Now that being said, I highly doubt that you would find any difference in braking, or drivability of the car with the 1/4" hight difference between either end of the car. (1/2 total diameter difference /2 for radius difference). You would probably also find that the actual attitude difference in the car would end up being less than 1/4", because of the way the suspension will settle.

So, yes IMO you're making a bigger deal that it really is, but like I said earlier, since you have found a combination of tire sizes are very close in tire diamters I would lean towards that set.

Guest 280ZForce

NO offense, but I'm glad to see the bling bling wheels goin bye-bye. Nice choice for the upgrades.

You've seemed to be lucky enough to find a good tire match for height in your size wheels, so go w/ that, although the dims you mention are not that big of a difference, very minimal.

I run a staggered wheel as well and was able to grab tires exactly same size in height even though differ widths and profile... 275/40/17 & 315/35/17 = 25.7" each.

NO offense, but I'm glad to see the bling bling wheels goin bye-bye. Nice choice for the upgrades.

Hehe...absolutely no offense taken. In fact, I wish I could burn those Enkei's to the ground. They are so HEAVY and the bling got old fast (~four years ago). I'm sure I can offload them onto craigslist soon. I wouldn't want to pollute our for sale forum with them. :lol:

You've seemed to be lucky enough to find a good tire match for height in your size wheels, so go w/ that, although the dims you mention are not that big of a difference, very minimal.

Excellent! +1 more expert opinon and we're are all in agreement! :D

Thanks 280ZForce!