HybridZ

air to water

rdsk8ter

First off sorry if this has been covered but i cant find it on the searches. Has anyone here used a air to water intercooler in a zx or even a z. From all ive read they seem to kick butt but it also has more to go wrong. What do you all think about these. Pros Cons. Im leaning heavy toward using one but yeah If there is a good reason someone please shove me back

Heat rejection is Q=Cp*(T2-T1) Since they are almost all aluminum the Cp stays the same which is the coefficient of heat transfer. The difference you will see is the Temp difference since water can have a bigger drop, ie. ambient to rougly 32 to 40 degrees using ice water. Water also transfers heat abou 25 times faste than air at the interface. IMO people use water to air in really high hp turbo applications and not so much for street use as the closed system will heat up the water to intake charge temps eventually.

Heat rejection is Q=Cp*(T2-T1) Since they are almost all aluminum the Cp stays the same which is the coefficient of heat transfer. The difference you will see is the Temp difference since water can have a bigger drop, ie. ambient to rougly 32 to 40 degrees using ice water. Water also transfers heat abou 25 times faste than air at the interface. IMO people use water to air in really high hp turbo applications and not so much for street use as the closed system will heat up the water to intake charge temps eventually.

so ok heres what im thinking im toying with the idea of having nos misters spary the air to water radiator to help really drop the temps is this an ok idea? also this car is only a weekend warrior and 1/4 mile car so yea. now as far as it goes if i were to run around for a couple hours playing would this intercooler be good for that or not?

so ok heres what im thinking im toying with the idea of having nos misters spary the air to water radiator to help really drop the temps is this an ok idea? also this car is only a weekend warrior and 1/4 mile car so yea. now as far as it goes if i were to run around for a couple hours playing would this intercooler be good for that or not?

No, and no. NOS is not something you'd want to breathe on a regular basis, well maybe, I don't know how you view that. :lol: But A/W intercoolers are typically inside the car not under the hood so no that wouldn't be a good idea and it ain't legal to spray nos inside the car with any sanctioning body except Cheech and Chongs racing series. :lmao:

Couple of hours, no, that won't work, you'll probably never get good tune to cover the wide range of water temps in the air/water intercooler to be at peak performance.

Question, with A/A intercoolers making 1000rwhp +, why do you want A/W?

No, and no. NOS is not something you'd want to breathe on a regular basis, well maybe, I don't know how you view that. :lol: But A/W intercoolers are typically inside the car not under the hood so no that wouldn't be a good idea and it ain't legal to spray nos inside the car with any sanctioning body except Cheech and Chongs racing series. :lmao:

Couple of hours, no, that won't work, you'll probably never get good tune to cover the wide range of water temps in the air/water intercooler to be at peak performance.

Question, with A/A intercoolers making 1000rwhp +, why do you want A/W?

mainly to be diffrent thats all but sounds like a big ass front mount is my best option

My previous setup had a air/icewater IC with a 5 gallon tank in the trunk of my 510, worked great for drag strip duties 20 lbs of ice could be made into hot water in four 1/4 mile runs. You would be better off with a air/air frontmount and a shot of methanol for street duties. Still there was nothing like 105* air temps and 68* intake air at the drag strip in the summer.