HybridZ

vacuum issue between 2000 and 2500 rpm

Guest PirateZ

Guest PirateZ

Ok z people, help me out.

78 280z. running basket case when i bought it. When i drove it home it still had the stock fuel injection re-installed on a rebuilt head (stock)

it would start and run, but lose almost all power between 2000 and 2500rpm, then it would take off like a rocket.

Took her home, stripped the fuel injection off and put on (all new by the way) holley 4bbl kit with AZC manifold, low press electric fuel pump and header exhaust. remanufactured distributor and alternator. Problem never went away. I can remedy it by running the mixture with to much fuel, but then it idles to rich and gas mileage is crappy. Give it a little throttle in the 2000 to 2500 and it hesitates, pops and takes off.

the ENGINE has 150,000 on it but the head is rebuilt. Its like vacuume falls off in this rpm range and lets the ignition timing retard. Would the valves being out of adjustment do this? A sticking valve maybe?

or is my engine bad. Dont have numbers on compression, and havent done a leakdown test. Any ideas???