HybridZ

How to install carbon fiber front and rear bumpers

2savage

The Motorsports catalog that sells these carbon bumpers says "the front will fit 1970 to 1972 240Z's and can also be fitted to later years if you use brackets from 1972". I could not find any information on this web site that covered the install and the bumpers came with no instructions. Here's how to proceed.

Front:

The brackets supplied need to be cut down in two places. First the end that will point towards the back of the car needs to be cut 1/8" behind the rear hole. This will provide clearance from the bulkhead to which the radiator is mounted. Next, the part of the bracket that will bolt to the bumper needs to be cut 1/8" above the lower hole. This will leave just one mounting hole at the front. The other is not needed. Next, trial fit the bumper by securing it with tape to the car. Once you are happy with the position, place one mounting bracket on the horizontal flange where the light harness lies and ensure the front of the bracket is next to where it will bolt to the bumper. Mark through the bolt holes onto the flange where you need to drill the mounting holes. Then drill two holes for your mounting bolts and bolt up the bracket. Don't snug them all the way yet as you will need some movement for the final steps. Repeat for the second bracket. For the outside ends of the bumper, slip a bolt through the mounting bracket on the bumper and secure it with a nut. This will provide you with a 'stud' which will go into the hole where the previous bumper mounting bolt was. For the final mounting, bolt up the front of the bumper to the brackets and add nuts and washers to the ends from inside the wheel wells. Once all is alligned, snug all the nuts tight. Finished!!

Rear:

You use the same brackets that were removed. There is a left and a right, plus there is an up and an upside down. Hopefully you marked this on removal. The issue I had was that the mounting brackets on the bumper were not aligned properly. I had to file slots in my original mounting brackets to allow the bumper to move from sird to side in order to get it to bolt up evenly, Mounting of the outer ends is basically the same as the front, using nuts and bolts to create a 'stud'. Since the hole you will mount to at the rear is quite large you will need large washers on the inside.

Hope this helps someone.