HybridZ

GM alternator swap

Guest Iansstud

Guest Iansstud

Hey guys, This may be my 1st post here, however I am not new to this forum or the z car...

I need some help, I did the GM alternator swap to a 12si 94amp reman. Its a delco remy reman. I belive i have done everything right.

My problem is that the alternator will not charge at Idle, and is not like i expected. I get a constant 12.1v-12.3v at idle, and it works its way up to 14.3v with the RPMs. Why wont it give me 14v at Idle? The stock will give me a 13.6v at idle when it needs a charge... I all the wireing right, I even did a 4ga wire from the alternator to the starter post, and a new 4ga from the bat to the starter post. and a new 4ga ground.

any help?

p.s. the belt is new, and tight, and everything looks to be mech. good...

I am not used to how alternators work, any advise?

thanks- Ian

78' 280z 120000 mi

I have the 94A, 12si alternator in my Z, and it works well with the pulley supplied with the alternator. I only get 12V at idle if everything is on, lights, rad fan, Blower, etc. Are you using a 1 wire or 3 wire setup? I have the 3 wire setup... Batt, sense, and excite, with the sense wire connected to the battery. If it's a 1 wire setup, you may have some issues at idle. Here's a good explanation why...

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

If you do have a 3 wire setup, where is the sense wire connected?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Hello everyone I'm pretty new to the hybrid z forum. I just completed a 95 Maxima alternator swap to my Datsun 240Z. However, I blown two alternators and one battery. I'm only getting 11.5 volts at idle while the electric fan, electric water pump and electric fuel pump are running. I can't seem to figure out the wiring sense their is no direct application. The pulley and belt seem to be tight and mechanically working. The external regulator is unhooked. Can anyone please give me some advice on how to wire the Maxima alternator correctly to my 240Z?