HybridZ

OK guys, need urgent help. Have fuel, engine cranks over, odd spark on release

we swapped over an l28 into capt_furious's Z. THe electronic system on here is an odd combination of chrysler ignition parts. Uses a Z coil, a chrysler electronic ignition module they call an ecu, and an assortment of odd relays. This is using an electronic distributor

So, we swapped over the distributor from old l28 to new l28, and also the starter. We can get the engine to crank over, fuel pump's pumping gas, but no spark. Or, i should say, when we ground the coil wire to chassis, it will spark ONLY when the ignition key is switched from trying to crank it to ON position. So it's definitely building a charge.

Any ideas? The wiring harness is a huge mess hacked up by previous owners of hte car, and I suck at electrics

• Administrators

Aux,

Is Captn’s car a 240? I recall the electrical portion of the ignition switches are different and I forget which it is but one will not charge the ignition circuit while cranking.

One way to eliminate this ignition switch as the possible issue is to turn the key to the ON position, and “jump” the starter, at the starter, not at the ignition switch. If the engine starts and runs, the switch is the problem and an easy fix.

If you don’t have one of those starter bump switches, you can use a long screw driver. At the starter, with the little spade connector unplugged, allow the screw driver to contact the terminal that has the battery wire AND contact the male spade on the starter itself at the same time. It will spark, so be absolutely sure there is no fuel or other combustibles near by. This will engage the starter and the engine will turn over and hopefully start.

Let us know what you find…

we got it running. it's a 260 (early 260) with chrysler ecu and ignition. a friend of mine stopped by (real wiz with wiring) and rewired everything correctly to work. We've run into another issue, however, but the car does run now (most of the time)