HybridZ

200RB trans from Monte Carlo any good?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the one thing holding me back from putting my Z together is the trans

TH350

700R4

2004R?

and then I see this 200RB any one know about it? is it worth looking into? I found one for 75 bucks with converter

I've found some Turbo 350s with shift kits for 100 bucks

but Im kinda staying away from the 3 speed idea since I want to take my car on long trips Hmmmm maybe I will do the 350 for now then later on do a 700R4 swap

any info on the 200RB would be great Im guessing its a trans for a 6cly that can't hold much power

Jeff 280ZXT

Guest Tom Scala

I've never heard of that trans. Are you sure it wasn't a 2004R. GM made a TurboHydro200 but that was a light duty 3 speed auto. BTW if you want OD try to find a good 700R4. The 200R4 needs upgraded to handle performance use and that can get real expensive real fast. A hi-po version was used in the Buick GN but it was a warranty nightmare.

Guest Anonymous

700R4 is my top pick but so far the best I've found is 450 bucks thats in good cond but I will end up wanting to rebuild it and change the valve bodys anyways so the price goes up from there.... I still need headers, exhaust, airfilter, gauges, sifter, throttle cables, alt, stareter, all the odds and ends are still left and I really don't want to spend alot untell everything is done

Im thinking about just putting the TH350 in for now get everything setup right and if I really want to later on change it to the 700R4 the car is going to be a weekend car so it should not hurt to much.... well some

the ad said 200RB I asked about it since you guys where talking about the 200R4 I was hopind it was the same thing

ohwell I figured it was not

thanks

Jeff 280ZXT

I run the r200 right now and abused the hell out of it wink.gif. It works real well and has nicer gearing than the 350/400's. I have a 700r4 that will go in in the future because of the overdrive needed. I wish to roadtrip my 260 V8 Z so the extra gear will be sweet. A good 200 is hard to find as a straight bolt in since most need work that I have found. Try to find a 200r4 it is the same as the 700 but physically smaller so it clears better. This is why the 700 is not in my car now. IMO!

Drew

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

Guest Anonymous

but with the 200R4 you can use a lock up converter right? so you get 4 gears total

my friend has one in his wagen "350 engine" he runs I think 2200 at 60mph

I can't remember his rear gearing but I think its 3.90 at one time he had 4.11s in it

Im going to call the pick and pull yard when I can and ask about the 200R4 and how much they can get me one for

how hard are they to rebuild? anything like the turbo 350?

this is the only thing holding my Z up right now so its starting to bug me.... atlest I still have my turbo engine in it now "very fun" 14-15PSI is a blast to drive

any one want to sell a trans?

maryland/dc area

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The Monte SS trans is the same other 2004r's.

I have two vehicles running the 2004R trans. The 280zx with a 331 cu.in chevy and a 55 chevy with a 406 cu.in. small block.

The Z is used as a daily driver. The trans is only slightly modified. The 55 is heavily modified for drag racing and crusing. Neither trans as had any problems to speak of. The trans has to be bulit correctly and as important, installed correctly to assure a long life.

The reason's I like the 2004R is the gear ratio, the size and the weight. Less H.P. to drive the trans is also a good reason.

The 2004R's are alway second to the 700r4, that means they can be bought at a good pric. We rebuild our own transmissions and usally buy them from locals who sell the cores.