HybridZ

POP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well, i crawled under my Z yesterday and took a real close look. i do in fact have an R180(spare R200 is definately going in now) in my 79 and luckily all of the u-joints seem to be in good shape. however, not even 5 minutes after the examination i started hearing a pop when applying power after shifting from R to 1st or vice versa. i just can't tell if its the tranny or the differential. any ideas?

being I am always having to do stuff alone, try this. Set the emergency brake to lock both wheels, then take a pipe wrench (or if a big one is not available, then use a big screwdriver wedged into the driveshaft U-joints) and twist on the driveshaft to immitate engine torque (tranny in neutral). I found that if I hold onto the piece in question (halfshaft), I will "feel" the pop as I apply torque on the driveshaft. Be sure to have the car's weight sitting on the tires to keep drive train geometry the same as when you are driving it. Sometimes a few degrees difference in the U-joints will mask the problem if the suspension is unloaded. Then just work back toward the engine till you find the suspect part (if indeed it is a joint).

Terry

Guest Anonymous

well, i listened REAL close on my drive to work today and i am now pretty much positive it is the rear differential. the pops were coming from slightly behind me, and i also noticed there is a howl coming from the rear. and the normal vibrations that i feel are coming at differant rpms than normal. so i will drive my truck to work for the rest of the week(i'm gonna hate the gas mileage!) and on Friday or Saturday i will install the R200. thanx guys!!

Guest Anonymous

blueovalz, are you refering to the plug on the tranny or the differential? i know where the plug for the differential is, but where is it on the tranny? i just need the tranny to last long enough for my carb to EFI swap on my truck to be finished.