HybridZ

You reach level 71! You acquire [240Z]!

Finally sold the 280Z. $750 and it was out of my hair. The next day, what should happen to pop up on CraigsList but a butt-ugly 240Z for a ridiculously low asking price? $500 and she's mine.

Battery Tray: A+

Lower Front Fender (Driver's): F

Lower Front Fender (Passenger's): A-

Dogleg (Driver's): A-

Dogleg (Passenger's): F

Decklid: B

Threshold plate: B

Wheel Arches: B

Floorpans: B-

Framerails: A-

Heh. Kinda looks like my first semester college transcript.

01010601150501161120080oc6.jpg

Brakes are pretty bad, so I'm having it trailer'd to my place tomorrow. Better pics then!

im in denver and i also just bought a 71 240 off craigs list for 500 lol do you ever go to codrift events?

Not yet. Give it a year or so :)

Big plans for this 'un.

Guy brought the car down tonight instead of tomorrow. Had a chance to look a bit closer at a couple things.

I think the previous owner (before the one I bought it from) was a young kid. The door panels are crap, but custom crap. Any area that could fit a speaker has been mutilated in order to do so. The kid did a little dabbling in performance work, apparently - The engine block isn't the L24 I expected, but an L28 instead! On the one hand, I'm excited that I got the higher-performance bottom end. On the other hand... I was kinda looking forward to seeing what a mere 2.4L could do.

Now here's the weird bit - The SU carbs are roundtop. The head is an E31. What's with the L28/E31 combo? I understand that the E31 provides a bit better compression ratio than the E88, but isn't it known for detonation? And if the kid could afford an L28, why didn't he pick up the P90A? ...The car even came with an extra E31 and cam. WTF?

Tomorrow: Disassembly and inch-by-inch once-over.

Hey... Anyone know what year doors will fit on a 12/71 240Z?

the E31 head was the original performance head on these engines. They can very easily be worked into very VERY potent pieces of equipment; many 240Z racecars have to run OE, year appropriate heads and as such much development has gone into the E31. Honestly, if you plan to go with the more "modern conventional" P90/N42 route, selling these two cylinder heads might generate some fundage for your project.

Looking at the pictures, I almost want to say that the spare heads looks like it has been milled in the past, and I cannot ID the valves by size, but they may even be the later, larger valves. You might want to try to find photos of a known-stock E31, and take measurements on those valves.. I may be blowing smoke, but an E31 head CAN be a little gold nugget in a parts collection, so it is worth looking into.

The car looks rough, but its a good find. You may have stumbled across a rare score here.. If *I* had picked this car up, I would be tempted to get a gasket set, pull the engine out and tearing it apart just to investigate what all it is made of.