HybridZ

R200 swap is done!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well, i just finished the R200 swap into my 79 280ZX a few hours ago. the only snag i ran into is having to modify the rear mount. beyond that it was easy and straight forward.

i took the car out for a test drive and all of my vibration problems are gone, and the car seemed to run a little smoother. the only problem is that after 5 minutes of driving, my clutch went out 100%. one minute it was there, the next it was slipping pretty bad and just a few seconds later its dead. the clutch pedal has zero feel in it and it won't come back up on its own. it makes me mad.

Guest Anonymous

the clutch has always acted weird since i got the car about a month ago. sometimes it will slip badly, and sometimes it does just fine. whats weird is when it does slip bad, i never smell the clutch. the pedal has never been real smooth. right now there is virtually no resistance to the pedal. the first thing i checked was the clutch resevior and it was a tad bit low, but not bad. the car went from driving ok to 5 miles later having no clutch. it started sticking on the floor, but i could lift it with my foot and it engaged, but that only worked about 3 times before it died. how dificult is it to bleed it? i've never done it before. thanx guys.....

Guest Anonymous

btw, i never touched the tranny at all when i did the swap. i disconnected the driveshaft from the old R180, but i never took the driveshaft out of the tranny.

quote:

Originally posted by David 280Z:

well, i just finished the R200 swap into my 79 280ZX a few hours ago. the only snag i ran into is having to modify the rear mount. beyond that it was easy and straight forward.

What did you modify on the rear mount? Did you reverse the mount that comes thru the body/chassis? Gas tank usually has to be dropped a ways to pull it out and reverse it as the R180 position is reverse of R200, as I recall (was a few years ago).

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

no, i didn't reverse the mount. how in the world would you reverse the mount? its just one big bolt that comes down just in front of the gas tank. on the rear mount i had to widden the holes a little with a die grinder cause the bolts on the back of the R180 are narrower bolt pattern than on the R200. beyond that, i had to get a big pry bar and pull the differential back as far as possible so the 4 bolts would go in. kind of a PITA when you are 5ft 5in and weigh only 120 pounds!!