HybridZ

700R4 won't shift out of 1st

Hi all,

I took my Z out for a test drive today (1st time) and the tranny won't shift out of 1st gear. It is a 700R4 out of a '88 Suburban from the Pick-n-Pull and the fluid looked and smelled fine. I've checked the fluid level (while running) and double checked the TV cable adjustment and throw.

After that, I've pretty much used up my transmission knowledge. Reverse works great and it seems to shift into 1st just fine. The only thing I did to it when I got it was change the fluid and filter.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this thing? I'm hoping that maybe someone has had this problem and knew of an easy fix or test to confirm the diagnosis without having to pull the tranny.

Thanks,

Tim McNamara M.D.

Engine still cluttered_thumb.jpg

I found this on a trany rebuild website, I hope it helps:

"If your transmission doesn’t shift out of first gear or shifts hard at too high a R.P.M. this doesn’t always mean you have a problem. This could be a stuck throttle valve caused by a small piece of trash. This sometimes happens after a rebuild. Sometimes the throttle valve can be unstuck without removing the valve body. Get up to about 20 to 30 M.P.H. and hit the gas pedal on and off hard with your foot. This might do the job. If that doesn’t work remove the throttle valve cable end from the throttle, with the motor at idle in park, pull the cable in and out very fast, this might work, if not the valve body must be removed by a transmission shop to be unstuck. This could cost $50.00 to $100.00."

The first run with my car did the same thing. First run down the street it wouldn't shift at all. But on the second run all was fine and has not been an issue since. I think it takes some time for the fluid to circulate properly, that's simply a guess though I don't know squat about automatic transmissions, LOL. Make sure your fluid is right after you’ve driven it a while.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think you are right, it is probably a stuck tv valve. I'll try the above suggestions and if that doesn't do it I'll put in one of those Transgo kits (#SK700JR) which apparently takes care of this fairly common problem with the throttle valve on the 700R4.

Thanks again as I can't wait to start driving this thing!

Regards,

Tim McNamara M.D.

Hey,

I followed the above suggestions i.e. pulled the tv cable in and out rapidly while at idle and got on it pretty hard while test driving. It started shifting pretty well though it still shifts a little high and hard. I'll again check the linkage and throw on my tv cable (homemade bracket) but so far I'm pretty happy.

Thanks again!

Tim