HybridZ

I need help, headgasket question :(

280zjoel

just wanted to say hi to everyone and i was wondering if someone could help me out. I swapped and sr20det into my 280z and I am installing a new cometic metal head gasket. my issue is ( you can see from the pics) that the head gasket does NOT have some of the holes for the coolant gallies, im kind of baffled, are they supposed to be blocked off? i emailed the company i bought them from and they said it fits all sr20det engines from 89 to present (s13, s14, s15 silvias) but those holes are not where they should be. any help would greatly be apreciated. thanks in advanceheadgasketquestion.jpgheadgasketquestion2.jpg

• Administrators

It is very common for head gaskets to NOT use all the coolant transfer ports that are available in the head and the block. I’m not 100% sure how they go about determining which ones to use and what size to make those holes, we just have to trust the manufacturer made the right choices for our applications. This is obviously an extreme performance head gasket, chances are the ports they chose to use for coolant transfer suits extreme performance SR20DET engines. It is apparent the manufacture biased the coolant transfer ports to the rear of block. This is an effort to help evenly cool the entire engine. Is it perfect? Probably YES for a single inlet, single outlet cooling flow through the block and head in relatively short engine, forcing the coolant from the front of the block to the rear, up through the head gasket and then back across the head to the T-stat in an effort to get coolant “flow as evenly as possible through the entire engine. If it had larger transfer holes towards the front of the engine, the coolant would just short cycle from the water pump to the T-stat. The front cylinders would be cool yet the rear cylinders would not receive fresh cool coolant.

Now get back out there and put hat bad dog together! I for one am looking to reading your fist drive report. wink.gif

lol thanks braap, for those who want to know what it does is it lets the coolant come to the top of the first 2 cylinders and flows through to the back of the block were it is allowed to flow up into the head and flow back to the front of the head and out of the water neck, kinda neat if ya ask me, i never thought of it that way until my brother told me:icon43: