HybridZ

t56 where can i get one

fl327

hey im super interested in hookin up on a t56

after i drove my friends ss maro the other night, took that bad batch from 65 to 130,

and once i shifted into 6th, the rpm was like

just over 2000 oh my lord.....

how much for a rebuilt or salvaged tranny like this, man its the ish. getting kind of tired of goin 75 at 2300 in fourth.

Guest Anonymous

Fairlady,

Check "E-Bay Motors" right now!!! Just do a search for T56.

T56s are getting harder and harder to come across. Last summer when I began looking for one it seemed like every car magazine had an article about swapping T56s into older muscle cars.

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by FAIRLADY 327:

...getting kind of tired of goin 75 at 2300 in fourth.

I wish I were doing 2300rpm's at 75. I think I must be the only 78z running a stock 4spd. I've alwasys read in the manuals that 4spds were still used up to 78 but never found one......till I found my Z; I was excited about my car, being so bone stock/unbutchered and all; till I discovered it was a 4spd & not a 5spd; Ugh!

I too need a T-56; can a T-56 be used behind the inline6?

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

A car built by AEM had a T56 mated to an L6, and another guy on zcar.com claimed he had done it too . I was unable to get details from either person. Personally I don't think the ratios would be quite right for the L6, but you could easily do up a spreadsheet program and compare it to the Z 5 speed . Seems like a little overkill, and yes they are not cheap, I would imagine a custom bell housing or clutch would be needed . You may want to compare the Borg Warner T5 bellhousing from a ZXT with the T56, who knows it might just bolt on ??

I have some links to a couple of places that sell T-56s and LT1s. I got mine from Regal Performance for 1600 with the clutch and master/slave set. Stuff got lost in shipping and he immediately bought me new stuff! http://www.homestead.com/s30z/files/otherv8z.htm

Look in the mags as someone mentioned. I have a 2 part article from Chevy Hipo Magazine

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest sfm12

Dear Fairlady

Since you live in the Bay area you should have good luck. I would first try calling a man Named Jerry Turner, at Turner's Auto Wreckers in Fresno. (559) 237-0918 I know Fresno is a long way from San Francisco, but it will probably save you some serious change. They are the largest auto wrecker (acreage wise) in the U.S. They can also get you on the computer locator system to find some of those trannies.

Scot

________

If people knew how easy it is to find Z parts without rust, here in the San Joaquin Valley and L.A., they would fly and drive one home. (no joke)

Len, try GM Sports Salvage in San Jose (it's on Old Oakland Rd or Santa Clara Ave--can't remember just north of the SJ Mercury News). They are JTR's "favorite" wrecker if I'm not mistaken. They are a quality out fit and where I purchased the Camaro motor, but pricey IMO.

David

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by clint78z:

A car built by AEM had a T56 mated to an L6, and another guy on zcar.com claimed he had done it too . I was unable to get details from either person. Personally I don't think the ratios would be quite right for the L6, but you could easily do up a spreadsheet program and compare it to the Z 5 speed . Seems like a little overkill, and yes they are not cheap, I would imagine a custom bell housing or clutch would be needed . You may want to compare the Borg Warner T5 bellhousing from a ZXT with the T56, who knows it might just bolt on ??

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by sss510:

i am currently putting a t-56 behind an L-motor in my 510(with a 3liter inline 6) a t-5 bellhousing will not bolt up to a t-56 , however a t-5 bellhousing can be made to fit with a custom made adaptor that a friend of mine is currently working out. i was going to go with a tko 5speed but i couldn`t refuse the t-56 at the price and condition i got it in, and since i am planning on putting a turbo on my port nitrous injected motor with sds i want the strongest tranny i can get , plus 6speeds are cool as hell.