HybridZ

looking for a 4" Straight through muffler

mattyice

I figured that this would be the best place for it, does anyone know where i could get a 4" straight through muffler besides Burns, Magnaflow, Borla? right now my choice is Burns but im trying to find a little cheaper solution then 270 for a muffler

yes i need 4" too since im going to be running a custom borg warner S370 on my RB26 Z

Just take a look around Jegs or Summit Racing's site. Dynomax UltraFlo is my muffler of choice - super cheap and decent quality.

What does the transmission you're running have to do with your muffler choice? I have a new Magnaflow 4"-to-dual-3" you could buy for $135 shipped.

Borg Warner S370 Turbocharger

im just running a single turbo so i only need a single exhaust, summit is down the road from my house pretty much so i know i could go there

but im going to the JDM style with the straightest possible exhaust flow, so the muffler will come out at a slant and it will need to look good, so i was hoping for stainless so that i know for the most part it will stay polished

ah... what was I thinking. I should have noticed it was a turbo designation.

FYI - the Magnaflow I have is unpolished stainless steel. They have polished versions and they're not terribly expensive.

Something of note: Boost Logic (Austin, TX Supra tuner) sells a downpipe called the "Bumble Bee." It starts at 5", I think then over a length of about 12" it narrows to 4" - it looks like a swollen downpipe from a bee sting. So, what you could draw from this is that perhaps having your entire exhaust at 4" isn't tantamount, but at least having the first foot or two at 4".

If I get the motor in I'm planning on, I may just run the Magnaflow I have now and it will be easier to fit two 3" pipes (one on either side of the differential than running a single 4". Though, if the look you need is important, then... Also, I plan to run a muffler in the middle of the car, not at the back.

ah... what was I thinking. I should have noticed it was a turbo designation.

FYI - the Magnaflow I have is unpolished stainless steel. They have polished versions and they're not terribly expensive.

Something of note: Boost Logic (Austin, TX Supra tuner) sells a downpipe called the "Bumble Bee." It starts at 5", I think then over a length of about 12" it narrows to 4" - it looks like a swollen downpipe from a bee sting. So, what you could draw from this is that perhaps having your entire exhaust at 4" isn't tantamount, but at least having the first foot or two at 4".

If I get the motor in I'm planning on, I may just run the Magnaflow I have now and it will be easier to fit two 3" pipes (one on either side of the differential than running a single 4". Though, if the look you need is important, then... Also, I plan to run a muffler in the middle of the car, not at the back.

i have known about boost logic for quite a while...but the problem is with a 3" exhaust maxing its amount of flow around 600 HP...i will be another 150-200 above that at full race gas tune...the outlet on the turbo will be a 4" v-band, i will just run 4" all the way back...at 850 HP supras can see over a 150 WHP gain with just removing the filter and a 80mm catback

"Here is a post from Mike, an SP Customer. He has an SP88: "That was my car with the SP88. Dont under estimate the importance of airflow at high HP levels. My car gained 40rwhp on the dyno by taking off the "HIGH FLOW" air filter!!!! This is at the 850+hp level. As far as exhaust, the SP88 had a 4inch DP that was bolted to the Greddy PE exhaust. Taking off the muffler gained 170rwhp on the dyno!!!!!!!!!!! Who knows how much power would have been taken away if I had 3 inch piping ALL the way through......maybe 250rwhp??

Guest 280ZForce

This was my old 4" turbo back system... but with the way my car sits now on coilovers, 4" round sat way too low so I've gone to oval piping after the downpipe and then made a oval y-pipe to run duals, then after the diff they go back to 4" rounds and 1 exits each side.

But here's pics of the old 4" turbo back setup I built.

IMG_3673-1.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

Guest 280ZForce
damn that looks really nice!!!

i might have to look more into those mufflers, with having a fuel cell and it only being a weekend warrior for me, the ground clearance isnt much of an issue to me...

The fuel tank is not the issue for clearance, if you are on just normal lowering springs you will be fine.

The lowest point of our exhaust systems come right around the back of the diff going under the back corner of the control arm. On my old tokico HPs and tokico springs I had about 3.5-3.75" ground clearance on the low spot, once I went coilovers and dropped it I had 2" clearance.

I am now also running a fuel cell and that's another reason I decided to go duals as well... w/ high hp turbo engines, you can never have too much exhaust air flow. So splitting to duals will only help providing it gives more air flow.

I originally wanted to put 4" on my car but the piping sat too low for my comfort when I threw some 4" piping up under the car, how close are you going to be putting the piping the the body and the diff? I ended up with a 3.5" system and I still scrape over some speed bumps. I have Tokico's and Eibachs.

Guest 280ZForce

I ended up doing a custom x-member and having fun w/ cutting up ovals...what a pita.

The ovals now sit even/above the frame rails.

This is while I was in the process of building it... and missing 1 muffler cuz I'm still waiting to get it in the mail...

4" downpipe then oval transition, oval y-pipe to dual ovals, then after diffy transition back to 4" rounds and exit dual 4" inlet mufflers...

Please excuse the hack job, it's all under construction

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

damn that looks awesome...synthtk i actually plan on the same setup...tokico's with the MM coilover kit for them, the car wont be going over any speed bumps and barely any steep hills, im going to tuck it against the body the best possible way, or maybe buy some oval piping that matches the flow of 4" and then go to 4" pipe at the end

it would be nice if someone made exhausts like this for the Z...maybe i will have to start doing that, just make it a little long in the front so people can adapt the way they want to it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 280ZForce

it's not done, cuz I still need to clean up around the back and make it look nice... but gives you an idea of running dual 4" exhaust w/ dual 4" inch inlet mufflers...

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg