HybridZ

BMW Drive for the cure

firm

I hadn't noticed this posted here yet, so I figured that I would share it. This is a function with BMW in association with the Susan G Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer. Basically you just sign up, show up, and drive the heck out of a bunch of bmw's and for every mile that you drive they donate some money to a great charity.

Here's the link to sign up:

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Content/Forms/UDSKForm.aspx?enc=rUcQLrBQ079iJTykYQh/Im1wxOM8G4epSpIinsgA+gY=

And here's a rough list of cars and the age you must be to drive them:

Z4 Coupe 3.0si - 21

Z4 Roadster 3.0si - 21

128i Convertible - 21

135i - 21

328xi - 21

328Ci - 21

335Ci - 21

M3 - 30

535i - 21

535Xi - 21

550i - 25

650Ci - 25

750Li - 25

760Li - 25

Alpina B7 - 30

X3 3.0si - 21

X5 3.0si - 21

X5 4.8i - 21

The entire list wasn't at the one that I attended today, but I did get the drive the **** out of the 135i and z4. I was actually really surprised at how fun and docile the z4 was. With the top down it was very easy to have a conversation without having to raise your voice, but when you wanted to get on it it definitely supplied enough "oomph" to get you through traffic.

When I took the 135i out I was lucky enough to hit a break in the normal traffic of the highway that was on the test route so I really got to open it up a bit. Let me tell you this, when you're driving that thing it really doesn't feel like you're going as fast as you actually are, as I found out after I hit 130mph in no time at all. The brakes on it were fantastic and felt like they could really take a lot of abuse on a track day, but to be honest it really did feel heavy around corners. The power that it has is fantastic and the drive is great, but I think that the car would be much better if it simply were lighter. I know that if I could afford one I probably would have left the lot with one today though because it really did impress me that much.

I didn't meet the age requirement to drive the m3 so I can't give any details on that other than this: It looks fantastic in person, especially in that white.. The exhaust note could be a permanant cure for any of you elders with ED, I know that I had to force myself not to point at the staff.. and the guy that came back in it right before I got to drive the 135i got pulled over doing 110mph on the highway. :D The great thing is this - the cop let him go since he knew that he was doing it for charity and just asked the guy to come back and ask the others not to drive that fast on the highway. I would have listened but.. c'mon.. that twin turbo straight 6 was just BEGGING for abuse. haha.

Anyways, just a heads up. If anyone here has already attended please feel free to post up your own experiences and if you didn't know that it was happening I suggest finding out if/when it's coming to your town and sign up. I had such a great day I'm going tomorrow too. :D

So anyone can register, show up, and get to drive said BMWs? I drive a beat Honda quite a bit to work and school, so it looks even worse . . .

I presume you would need to show up in at least a decent vehicle? Registration isn't open until the end of the month for my area, Sacramento, and I don't feel like entering far off cities zip code to see what all is included in the registration.

Yeah man, registration is up for anyone that meets the age requirement and has a valid drivers license. I'm 24 and showed up in a civic with a million dents (there was a hailstorm here the night before) and they didn't even think twice about it.

It's all for charity so it wouldn't matter if you took the bus there and had daisy dukes on.. As long as you're 21 or older and have a valid drivers license you'll be able to test drive some cars.

IIRC, there was my civic, a bug eye wrx, a scion xb, and an older 3 series parked right across the street in plain view of all the attendees. Surprisingly they were all really cool people too.. Most of the 30+ guys were just there to drive the m3, haha. All the younger people were there mainly to drive the 135i, and there were no questions asked. As long as you went inside and checked in & got your hand stamped you could go and drive the heck out of some cars.

I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to get off of work right now and we're going to head out to the one today in Ft. Worth, I'll try and snap some pics and post them up at the end of the day.