HybridZ

LT1 280z tranny questions

Geking

I am doing an LT1 swap into my 78Z:burnout:. A chevy friend of mine gave me his T56 driveshaft and Centerforce 2 clutch, pressure plate and flywheel with only 500 miles on them. I have not sourced a Tranny yet, but all the T56s I look at are way too expensive(>$700, sometimes $1500). Soo...

A local Z friend of mine is willing to trade a Z31 T5 for the injectors out of my L28. Can I make this trans bolt up to my LT1. How? I know I would need a new bellhousing (would a normal chevy V8 housing work?), and depending on the tranny, I could not use the Datsun or the chevy shaft (I know about the lengths and yokes)(I have heard that most ford output shafts are the same as a 280z...) I guess what I am looking for here is: Yes, the input and output shafts are the same, or, No, the shafts are different, you would need some clutch or need to modify a Z31 driveshaft.

Thanks in advance.

SEARCH! This has been brought up a thousand times. No this is not a good idea. Bolting up a tranny that was originally behind a weak V6 will not be able to hold the torque of a V8. Get a WC T-5(world class)from an old camaro or use the T56. Do a search in the chevy V8 forum for "WC T-5"

Just to clarify what 80LT1 is saying, the transmission listed in that ebay auction is NOT, repeat NOT a V8 transmission and you do not want to use it behind your LT1. It will bolt up but it would not last long.

As for the other question about the Z31 T5, you could make it work but the cost would be more than a good World Class T5.

Yes an 82-89 Camaro bell housing will bolt to an LT1. I'm running that combination right now.

Wheelman