HybridZ

Glide or Turbo400?

JustinOlson

Current Setup Planning:

Car: 1977 Datsun 280z w/ factory unibody w/ cage

Weight: 2750-2850lbs w/ driver

Engine: Toyota 2JZ 185ci. 9500rpm redline

Turbo: Borg Warner S480 T6 1.32 A/R. Supports 1150WHP.

Nitrous: Used to flash the converter and spool turbo to 40psi.

Tires: MT 275/60-15 Radials on 8†wheel

Suspension: Independent Rear

Differential: 3.69:1 R&P LSD w/ 9.05†ring gear.

Wheel Base: 90.7â€

I’m trying to decide between the TH400 and Glide for this car. I will be driving this car on the street and on some short trips. I think the glide would be better for launching on the radials. What do you guys think I should do? Do you guys think I'll have trouble cruising around town with this small engine and the steep first gear?

TH400 Ratios:

2.48:1 1st

1.48:1 2nd

1:1 3rd

Glide Ratios:

1.76:1 1st

1:1 2nd

Regards,

Justin Olson

PowerSlide: Slow 60ft (depending on converter used)

Good mid track

One less shift the trans has to make

If the tires spin off the line, you pretty much have to completely let out to control wheel spin

Much lighter than the TH400

The preffered tranny for high HP cars

TH400: Faster 60ft

Can take more HP

Easier to modulate wheel spin

Weighs more

Has that extra gear to shift

Preferred trans for street driving and moderate HP

400's are huge. I have one in my truck and can't image putting that thing in a Z. I had it rebuilt last year and getting that mass of aluminum back onto the back of that 454 was tough.

I would use a built th350 before using a th400. A th350 built for drag racing can handle lot of hp. install a trans brake and a manual valve body. A th350 can handle your engine easily if built right.

I have a sbc set back as far as I sent it back, It clears the tunnel completely! even allowing space to run trans cooler lines, and a dipstick! Its a tight fit but not as bad as you would think and its hides at least level if not a tad bit higher then stock frame rails.

IMO building a th350 to handle high hp is going to take some money. The th400 will handle alot of hp, high hp, like blown alky BBC's but properly built and some money as well. Glide's are relatively simple, cheaper to build and IMO a better route to go if cost vs. reliability are a concern. Kind of a preference thing.

For a glide, things you'll need, 1.76 gearset or aftermarket gear set, th350/400 splined input shaft, steel hub for the high drum, machined pistons for more clutches in the reverse pack and high drum, quality clutches and kolene steels, master build kit, kevlar band, dual o-ring servo, t-brake, mod the oil line holes in the case to 1/4" and retap. I have both a bte pump and a stock pump, both work fine with a T-brake as long as the stator shaft is for the th350/400 input shaft, mod the case by drilling 2 holes for the t-brake. You can build a glide for about $800 less converter. They are simple and truly a DIY tranny if there ever was one. You can get crazy and spend alot more if you want but IMO it isn't necessary although the aftermarket cases look cooler when the trans is sitting in the floor of the shop.

As for slower 60' times I don't think so, check the timeslip database or look at my sig.

Yeah, your are deffinately running a very quick 60', but by your 1/4 mile time, I'd say your car has some horsepower hehe. On a car that sees mostly street use, more times than not, your 60' will suffer, since the car will usually bog off the line or just totally annihilate the tires if it's got enough power to break them radials loose.

Yeah, your are deffinately running a very quick 60', but by your 1/4 mile time, I'd say your car has some horsepower hehe. On a car that sees mostly street use, more times than not, your 60' will suffer, since the car will usually bog off the line or just totally annihilate the tires if it's got enough power to break them radials loose.

IMO most V8 z's, v6's, and high hp l6's tend to anihilate the tires out of the hole from a dead stop. My thinking and experience comes from that fact. Any car hooking up rather than smoking the tires out of the hole, hp for hp, will be faster, hands down. It doesn't take all that much tq from a good motor to burn the hides off any z car. The glide makes alot of sense from that standpoint. Drawback is no overdrive commonly desired for street use.

No OD in my TH400 either, but with the forward shift pattern and vacuum connected, I can just put it in drive and putter around town like any other auto with the tranny shifting through the gears for me. I use a B&M ratchet shifter and it allows me to shift manually when I want to. I street drive mine a good bit, so that's one of the reasons I went with the TH400. I've managed a few high 1.3xx 60's, although it is on the footbrake.

figured I'd throw in my .02

Mike