HybridZ

377 or 383 Stroker

Guest iamjackal

Guest iamjackal

Ive got my T56 in the works but as far as motor Im a bit undecided.I was gonna build the 383 for its brute torque and power but in such light body car its gonna be hard to control all that wheel spin induced torque.So i wander about the destroked 377 which produces more power with its higher rpm.I figure that t56 will be great for taking advantage of the 377. Im looking for a very fast sreet car but I really want top speed.Which combination do you guys think will yield the best results.motor will also be set up with a strong bottom end for nitrous use on occasion.Any help and knowledge is greatly apprecitated.Thanks very much for a great site,.

Guest Anonymous

I was always under the impression that a 377 was just a stroked 350 without the .030" overbore. Is it in fact a standard 350 with a .060" overbore?? Either way it really doesn't matter with the T56. what will really make the difference is the final differential gearing. If you put in a 3.7 or 3.9 than you will never be able to keep the tires from lighting up. I am going to run a 3:1 ford 9" so the torque from my 383 will be great along with the ratios of the 94-97 T56. You probably would be happier with the overbored 350 if you plan on running a higher geared differential.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

• Administrators

SpencZ,

The 377 from what im told is a 400 block with a 350 crank. I had thought about this combination myself before I went with the 383. It sounds like it would be a great reving engine, but I think I would rather go with a 327, that is what im going to put in my other Z.

------------------

Dan "I need bigger tires" Porter, 78 280Z, 383, 475hp, Comming soon T56, Move outa my WAY!!!

http://24.4.88.44/members/dporter/DanZ.html

Guest RON JONES

The 377 that Jack is refering to is a 400 block w/350 crank.377 or 383,your going to have lots of power with NOS on either one.how about 406ci?The more the merrier I allways say.434ci kits are avilable if you want to spend some bucks.If your chooseing between the 377 or the 383,I would go 383.The 377 would be great if your running a real low gear(4.56-4.88)for dragraceing.For what you want to do,I would think the 383 is the better choice.

Guest iamjackal

Thanks for the info guys.I think Im just gonna keep researching each some more. I know there "is no replacement for displacement" but that 377 may be the way Ill go.See Im not used to driving with so much torque, my 84Anniversay 300zx was no torque and all the power in the higher revs. Love hearing that motor scream in 2nd gear tached out. My rush is running the motor on its edge of blowing.I got pissed and really about tried to blow that motor and never did it shrapnel as my buddies thought it would.So I wanna have a motor that can take my abuse.Im gonna be standing on that accelerator so I guess I better get the whole rotating assembly balanced.What compression are you running Super Dan.I was gonna run the 6inch rods but I wanna run only pump gas and thought the compression might be to high.What is your setup? Sorry so long a post-Im getting anxious to get it built. Still need a freakin chasis to work with.Hard to find Z's of those years.If there not rusted out there restored and to expensive.thanks again

As for wheel spin with the T56, I'm not having any trouble driving the car daily with a 383 in it. My car is very predictable and almost doscile in traffic. You can get it to do a smokey burn out if you want but launching it from a dead stop is that bad with the 300ZXT rear and LSD.. I also have 265-50-15 Gatorbacks helping put the car down the road....

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest iamjackal

I live in Vincennes,Indiana.There are actually quite a few Z's around here but they are usually pretty rusted out.I think that is what I will end up with cause Im really good at bodywork and I located a source for cheap bodypanels through some Victoria British or something catalog.Let me know if you guys see any Z's for sale.Thanks.